Light-O-Rama Forums

Ray Wu RGB lights

jerry72

Way to many to choose from so i ask, what is a good RGB node light from Ray Wu to start with for a mega tree that will be 8 foot tall. I have seen some say that they will make the string for you with how ever many nodes you need. I am planning on hooking them to a SanDevice 862, also what power pack will work for that.

I used the square nodes and 12v model ws2811's. I installed 2 of the 350 watt dc power supplies. Hope this helps.

Jeff

I used the square nodes and 12v model ws2811's. I installed 2 of the 350 watt dc power supplies. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Are these the nodes you used?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50pcs-DC5V-input-WS2811-LED-pixel-light-with-RGB-GREEN-BLUE-wire-IP68-rated/701799_1600214923.html

Well that style but in 12volt so I can get a longer run without injecting power. I liked these when I ordered them.  Item 735789822 on Rays site.  For some reason I am not able to post a link on LOR site..

Jeff

Well that style but in 12volt so I can get a longer run without injecting power. I liked these when I ordered them.  Item 735789822 on Rays site.  For some reason I am not able to post a link on LOR site..

Jeff

So i should stick with 12v lights then. They come in a strand of 100 then you cut them as you see fit?

If you drop Ray an email, he may be able to offer you 3" on centre, rather than 4". You need to make sure he is not confused by cable length instead of distance between centres. Ray's English is good, but you need to remember it is not his first language.

Regards,

Alan.

Jerry,

you may also want to take a look at DIY LED Express.  He is state side (but get his from China like everyone else) and has a pre sale going right now. I have had good luck with his lights and service.  http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=42_44

Hope this helps.

Jerry,

you may also want to take a look at DIY LED Express.  He is state side (but get his from China like everyone else) and has a pre sale going right now. I have had good luck with his lights and service.  http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=42_44

Hope this helps.

His prices are about the same as Ray Wu but i bet shipping is cheaper.

If you drop Ray an email, he may be able to offer you 3" on centre, rather than 4". You need to make sure he is not confused by cable length instead of distance between centres. Ray's English is good, but you need to remember it is not his first language.

Regards,

Alan.

From what i have seen on youtube it looks as though 3 per foot will light up nice and bright. I can be happy with those.

Jerry...you can absolutely get custom spacing and custom lengths from Ray...last year I had 50 strings of 55 nodes, with 3 inch spacing,...but I have to tell you...Quality control or lack thereof will need to be expected...I had 3 strings with 57 nodes, 2 with 53 nodes...spacing was anywhere from 2 3/4" to 4".    I didn't realize how OUT of alignment this was until I put them up.  I'm going to use those lights around the house this year instead of on my tree...ordering new lights with a bit longer spacing than I need, perhaps 5 inch spacing, if I want to actually have 4 inch spacing, as I can always put a little slack in the line between pixels, but I don't want to have to solder in an extension to get what I need.  I connect each node to packing straps for a backing, so much like the monkhouse colormotion tree, having accurate spacing makes for nicer lines and better outcome with effects, if you are using on a mega tree.   ...Outlines of the house, not as necessary.  Around Windows, doors, uprights, etc...more necessary to run evenly up each side or across the tops and bottom.  Just my 2 cents from trial and error this year, thought you might benefit from that..

But be sure to specify in metric system values if requesting custom spacing from ray wu!

Diyledexpress is a great choice as well. Their pixabulbs priced to be rock solid while people with other vendor pixels had issues all season. The owners are Christmas light enthusiasts as well, so it's nice to support that business.

But be sure to specify in metric system values if requesting custom spacing from ray wu! Diyledexpress is a great choice as well. Their pixabulbs priced to be rock solid while people with other vendor pixels had issues all season. The owners are Christmas light enthusiasts as well, so it's nice to support that business.

I was looking at them last night, prices are the same as Rays but shipping would be cheaper. A 50 count string would be perfect for my Mega tree, i could just cut the sting in half. All i need is 25 nodes per string.

Jerry...you can absolutely get custom spacing and custom lengths from Ray...last year I had 50 strings of 55 nodes, with 3 inch spacing,...but I have to tell you...Quality control or lack thereof will need to be expected...I had 3 strings with 57 nodes, 2 with 53 nodes...spacing was anywhere from 2 3/4" to 4".    I didn't realize how OUT of alignment this was until I put them up.  I'm going to use those lights around the house this year instead of on my tree...ordering new lights with a bit longer spacing than I need, perhaps 5 inch spacing, if I want to actually have 4 inch spacing, as I can always put a little slack in the line between pixels, but I don't want to have to solder in an extension to get what I need.  I connect each node to packing straps for a backing, so much like the monkhouse colormotion tree, having accurate spacing makes for nicer lines and better outcome with effects, if you are using on a mega tree.   ...Outlines of the house, not as necessary.  Around Windows, doors, uprights, etc...more necessary to run evenly up each side or across the tops and bottom.  Just my 2 cents from trial and error this year, thought you might benefit from that..

I saw some where else that some one said they had quality issues with Rays lights as well on custom orders. I think it may have been a review on his site. If i can get them here for the same price I will support a local company first, like jlowe said. I like the idea of the packing strips. I was thinking of rope but the strips would give a stiffer support.

Jerry,

Hope this helps.

I looked at that site. Leaning towards them now.

yes, Ray had a batch of 2811 chips that weren't the best at regulating the voltage, I had a number of strings go down...but I will Say, Ray stood behind his product, shipped me out 230 dollars worth of new strings, and didn't charge shipping or anything..for that, I will continue to do business with Mr. Wu...)(whispers)  but I did place an order with DIY LED Exp as well...

12 volt has less voltage drop issues than 5 volt. i.e more pixels before you need to inject power. 

12 volt smart strips are 3 leds per pixels (like CCR's 150 leds for 50 pixels).  

5 volt strips every led is addressable indivually. You can get strips that are as many as 144 pixels (432 channels) per meter (nearly a universer per meter). 

The more pixels in a row without power injection the more the 12 volt -vs- 5 volt thing comes into play. 

Edited by jerrymac

12 volt has less voltage drop issues than 5 volt. i.e more pixels before you need to inject power. 

12 volt smart strips are 3 leds per pixels (like CCR's 150 leds for 50 pixels).  

5 volt strips every led is addressable indivually. You can get strips that are as many as 144 pixels (432 channels) per meter (nearly a universer per meter). 

The more pixels in a row without power injection the more the 12 volt -vs- 5 volt thing comes into play. 

Ok i see what yer saying. I am planning on using the E682 so i will stick with the 12v lights then.

• The topic was locked