Light-O-Rama Forums

Going bigger with my Mega tree

slipperyclam

this past year was my first year with a show and while my mega tree looked good in my yard I think it was too small so I want to go from 10' to 20' I am using 16 channels right now and would like to keep it that way for the coming year. I was wondering on how many strands I should make my tree out of I was thinking something like 2-3 strands per channel also I know I seen a video of someone that did it with clear lights on the even channels and multi color strings on the odd channels but I can not find that anywhere to see how it was set up as per number of strands any insight would be great

I had a 20 footer before going 30. I would suggest 3 strands per channel. Makes it look nice and full and if a strand goes out, it won't be as noticeable. That's what I've been doing for years. Three strands of each color per channel. Red, white, blue and green on 4 controllers.

I also have a 17' tree. The past two years i have had 12 strings of 100 count, Red, Green and White. These are 33' long each. I folded the strings and came back down 15" from where I went up (not folded 180 degrees apart). But I felt that the tree is not full looking. So, for 2014 I will be doubling up to 200 count per channel for all 3 colors. Now they will be about 7.5" apart. And I will have 50 strobes in it for 2014, was 40 this past year.

All though I would love to add another controller or two to the Mega tree my budget will not allow it this year as I have the controllers that I budgeted for this year already planned out (candy cane spinner, and for the wife 2 arches). so I will be sticking to 16 channels for my tree plus one for the star. And from what I am gathering I will go with 3 rows of lights per channel. Now wondering if I should alternate clear on the even and multi color on the odd

I would split where clear would be on channels 1-8 and multi on channels 9-16 (or vice versa). This is how I set up my first mega-tree years ago.  I also have 8 large bushes and 8 windows across the front of my house that are split this way.  It helps me keep everything organized during setup to have all the clear on one side of the controller and multi on the other side.  The consistency has helped me as I have added controllers over the years.  It also helps when sequencing to have everything together, of course, you can re-organize your channels.

I use three colors WRG and use the up and over method. basically 8channels per color and have 6 strings per channel. three on oneside and three directly across on the other side. I use 2controllers for my tree and have a few open channels. I use 50count m6 LEDs all connected at the bottom of the tree.

Mega tree design for me. I have a 40 foot tall mega tree with 64 superstrings of all four colors. I have a 4 string rotation and it looks great. Now wiring I break all the colors up into each box. I will have white,red,green and multi in the same box. This will balance the load better for my shows. If I go all white I use 1/4 of each box and not a full box of all white. I have one box at each quarter and wiring is laying right at the box and only need a few ext cords.

My first year I had all white in one box, red in one box, green in one box and multi the same. What a nightmare with all the ext cords under the mega tree. 98% of my cords are the 6 footers for quick plug and play and very little to tangle up. If you want to see pictures I am more than happy to post them.

Jeff

Mega tree question, not going big, 8 foot at most, how close should the strands be to make the Text effect look good? I was planning on 12 strands and the strands will be about  6 inches apart at the bottom.

I would split where clear would be on channels 1-8 and multi on channels 9-16 (or vice versa). This is how I set up my first mega-tree years ago.  I also have 8 large bushes and 8 windows across the front of my house that are split this way.  It helps me keep everything organized during setup to have all the clear on one side of the controller and multi on the other side.  The consistency has helped me as I have added controllers over the years.  It also helps when sequencing to have everything together, of course, you can re-organize your channels.

you can do that but what worked for me was also using C-6 LED's, were big enough without being too big.  I used 48 strands but had them on 16 channels, made sequence a tad bit challenging but it looked good.  Had a nice full tree, good color changing options (green, red, and white).

you can do that but what worked for me was also using C-6 LED's, were big enough without being too big.  I used 48 strands but had them on 16 channels, made sequence a tad bit challenging but it looked good.  Had a nice full tree, good color changing options (green, red, and white).

I was referring to the OP where he wanted to keep it at 16 channels with the option to have it all clear or all multi but he was going to split the colors by odd or even (if I understood correctly).  I agree with you because my current mega tree is green, red and white, 48 strands per channel, 16 channels each color on the outer tree and then a smaller version of the same on the interior with 48 more channels.  It makes for a very full look.

Do you miss NC yet?  I have driven by Wendell many times.

Brian

Oh yes, miss it a lot!!

don't have the yard here we use to have and don't get me started on the winds.  what would have worked just fine back east got flattened twice here.

Edited by caniac

Mega tree design for me. I have a 40 foot tall mega tree with 64 superstrings of all four colors. I have a 4 string rotation and it looks great. Now wiring I break all the colors up into each box. I will have white,red,green and multi in the same box. This will balance the load better for my shows. If I go all white I use 1/4 of each box and not a full box of all white. I have one box at each quarter and wiring is laying right at the box and only need a few ext cords.

My first year I had all white in one box, red in one box, green in one box and multi the same. What a nightmare with all the ext cords under the mega tree. 98% of my cords are the 6 footers for quick plug and play and very little to tangle up. If you want to see pictures I am more than happy to post them.

Jeff

Pic of your mega tree would be nice to see.... yest alone anyone that has them handy so we can see what your all describing... thanks

yes any pics or vids would be great.  I am leaning to all clear for this years mega tree but I am still wondering how it would look if I alternated  around the tree 3 strands clear than three strands multi. If anyone would happen to have a vid or know were one is I know I seen one. I got a feeling this is going to bug me all the way up to set up time :wacko:

I got a feeling this is going to bug me all the way up to set up time :wacko:

If it is going to bother you that much........, set it up in the back yard and play around with it till you find what you like.

http://vimeo.com/user5606489/videos  Here are the recent video's I have posted. I will look for daytime pictures and post them if you want to see them.

64 superstrings that has white, red, green and multi zip tied together. From 12 oclock to 3 oclock it has 16 superstrings - so lets pick on red for this wiring below.

I take red 1 and hook to red 2 and then red 3 hooks to red 4. Both of these to a ext cord to one of the channels in the box at that quarter of the tree. This gives a 4 string rotation of red when called for on that channel. My string are 150's so that 600 incands on that channel. Follow the same pattern for each color so you used 4 channels so far. Next 4 superstring follows the same pattern and hooks to the same box just next 4 channels. so on and so on till you have all 16 channels filled.

So when I go all red this box will only turn on 4 channels hooked up this way. In the past I ran all red to one box and always worried if it could handle it. Now I don't worry. and used a lot less ext cords.

I have 4 boxes that control the mega tree lights and a 5th box that controls the center pole up the tree and the beam that comes down to the Nativity Scene.

A lot of my problems with network happens under this tree with all the power and network so close to each other. BTW I do use a bucket truck to install this tree and several others I have.            Hope this helps....

Jeff

• Like 1