Light-O-Rama Forums

New controller question

jerry72

I have two boards that were given to me, they were Reanrd boards, however i had to replace the microprocessor on both boards. Can i just load them with LOR Firmware and avoid the whole DMX firmware?

Another question, if i can not avoid the DMX, on the channels setting panel, DMX uses different protocol then LOR, LOR asks for controller# and Channel#, DMX ask for universe and address, i assume the universe is the controller and the address is the channel#? Also how do i tell the LOR software what controller is what or does it decide that when they are daisy chained?

Edit: I should have asked do i just assign Unit ID to DMX controllers as you do to LOR controllers through the Hardware utility.

Edited by jerry72

Sorry, I only feel that I can answer the last question. After finding out that I was slightly wrong in the past. Thanks to the one that pointed out my mistake.

Ok, With Each DMX universe you have 512 channels. So if you divide 512 by 16 (channels per controller). You will find that you can only have 32 controllers. 32 times 16 equals 512. So controller addressed h01 is channels 1 - 16. Controller h02 will be channels 17-32 and so on till Controller h20 will be channels 497 - 512.  Note the lower case "h" denotes a number in Hexadecimal, not decimal. So, your addressing will be universe X, channel Y, with Y= 1-512.

Savey?

I see what yer saying, just treat it the same way i would LOR controllers. Hopefully some one can answer my other question about the Firm ware.

Not sure what you mean by "Treat it the same way I would LOR controllers".

When you configure a channel in S.E. one of the drop down boxes sets up what controller type this channel was going to be used with. There are about 10 different things you can select. Normal would be LOR, but in your case you want to select DMX. Now you will see more drop downs. One of them is "Universe" number. And then "Channel" number that ranges from 1 to 512.

The above is the window that opens when you click on the channel tab to the left. This is where you name the channel and select the color that you want assoc. with that channel. The LOR or DMX is the drop down window below the color selection. What I was describing in my above post is the relationship between the controller and the way you need to configure the channel in S.E.

So, yes your still addressing the controller its self same as before. Just limited to addresses in hex between h01 and h20. If you even need more than 32 controllers. Then start over with the addressing, but have to put it on a second universe.

I have two boards that were given to me, they were Reanrd boards, however i had to replace the microprocessor on both boards. Can i just load them with LOR Firmware and avoid the whole DMX firmware?

Another question, if i can not avoid the DMX, on the channels setting panel, DMX uses different protocol then LOR, LOR asks for controller# and Channel#, DMX ask for universe and address, i assume the universe is the controller and the address is the channel#? Also how do i tell the LOR software what controller is what or does it decide that when they are daisy chained?

Edit: I should have asked do i just assign Unit ID to DMX controllers as you do to LOR controllers through the Hardware utility.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

No, the firmware is not compatible between the two different models. Nice thought, tho.

If you're using them as DMX devices, you should have the Advanced S3 license.

And a USB to DMX dongle (adapter).  There's the top five that work, and many others that don't.

See: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/21933-dmx-dongle/

and: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/20771-using-lor-dongle-with-dmx/

No, the firmware is not compatible between the two different models. Nice thought, tho.

If you're using them as DMX devices, you should have the Advanced S3 license.

And a USB to DMX dongle (adapter).  There's the top five that work, and many others that don't.

See: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/21933-dmx-dongle/

and: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/20771-using-lor-dongle-with-dmx/

I was wondering, the kid down the street that gave me the new Microprocessors said they were black but he was not sure because of the board lay out and hardware or something like that. I will just get the ActiDongle like i planned before and use it. I have laread planned on the S3 Advanced, just not sure hwat license i want to get for the Super Star yet. I will not be using RGB this year but i iwill next. I was confused about the whole "Universe" thing.

When you configure a channel in S.E. one of the drop down boxes sets up what controller type this channel was going to be used with. There are about 10 different things you can select. Normal would be LOR, but in your case you want to select DMX. Now you will see more drop downs. One of them is "Universe" number. And then "Channel" number that ranges from 1 to 512.

The above is the window that opens when you click on the channel tab to the left. This is where you name the channel and select the color that you want assoc. with that channel. The LOR or DMX is the drop down window below the color selection. What I was describing in my above post is the relationship between the controller and the way you need to configure the channel in S.E.

So, yes your still addressing the controller its self same as before. Just limited to addresses in hex between h01 and h20. If you even need more than 32 controllers. Then start over with the addressing, but have to put it on a second universe.

So the Universe # is the controller ID #. I found  a chart that shows me that i have to start each new unit ID with the the next channels number in line, I have 16 channel controllers so Unit 2 would start with Channel 17 and so on. I figured it out now thanks.

So the Universe # is the controller ID #. I found a chart that shows me that i have to start each new unit ID with the the next channels number in line, I have 16 channel controllers so Unit 2 would start with Channel 17 and so on. I figured it out now thanks.

Just to be clear, the controller ID is not the universe #. You don't even need to concern yourself with universe numbers unless you are running multiple universes. The controller id (when converted to decimal) is the DMX address.

Both LOR and Renard can speak DMX, so that would simplify things a bit for you. However, the way Renard does DMX is non-standard, which you will need to understand. The LOR controllers will respect the DMX addresses and only read the data assigned for them, passing the full data stream on. Renard "eats" the data and passes on what's left over. So, you have to take that into consideration.

Edit: so, for simplification, just use universe 1, and the addresses are whatever your controller starts with. All will be universe 1.

Edited by jlowe

. . .

Not through the Hardware Utility; use whatever the documentation says for that controller or whoever makes it.

Sometimes it's little white switches, rotary switches or through some kind of software utility from the vendor or manufacturer.

The LOR Hardware Utility only works with LOR devices. It will not work with Renard or any other non-LOR controller.

Also, when you try to test these non-LOR DMX controllers, you have to use a third-party utility, like Xlights.

Whoops! I misunderstood that this was an attempt to do a mixed network of LOR controllers with Renard. If its just Renard controllers, then it's less complex than a mixed network. (I myself run a mixture of controllers, including LOR and Renard).

You would just setup your channels in S3 to be universe 1, and channels 1 through whatever. Then, setup your output for whatever DMX dongle you end up with. Connect the dongle to the first controller, and the first controller to the second.

Because of the way renards eat data, and if those controllers have the DMX firmware installed, then they should handle the channels just fine. However, if the firmware is not setup, then you are in for a bigger headache and would need to request help with the hardware on the doityourselfchristmas.com site.

Whoops! I misunderstood that this was an attempt to do a mixed network of LOR controllers with Renard. If its just Renard controllers, then it's less complex than a mixed network. (I myself run a mixture of controllers, including LOR and Renard). You would just setup your channels in S3 to be universe 1, and channels 1 through whatever. Then, setup your output for whatever DMX dongle you end up with. Connect the dongle to the first controller, and the first controller to the second. Because of the way renards eat data, and if those controllers have the DMX firmware installed, then they should handle the channels just fine. However, if the firmware is not setup, then you are in for a bigger headache and would need to request help with the hardware on the doityourselfchristmas.com site.

I will have 4 16 channel renard boards. 64 channels in all, so i assign each light string i use as Universe 1 then channels 1-64? got it. I will be using the ActiDongle from Holiday Coro. So just daisy chain them with a good Cat5 cable.  The two i have now hvae no firmware on them, i had to replace the microprocessor on them. I found the firmware on Renards website. I will get a Pickit3 to down load the firm ware. I was hoping to load them with LOR firmware but my understanding is the board configuration of the renards will not take LOR firmware. 

Correct. Sounds like you've got a good handle on it!

Yeah once i found that article what you guys have been telling me made sense, it had pictures after all.