Light-O-Rama Forums

Using the VU Wizard

George Simmons

Someone wrote to me asking for an example of how I use the VU Wizard and whether it is worth learning.  For me, it's been very productive, and I personally feel that it should be a part of anyone's sequencing arsenal.  I use it mostly for vocals.  Here's an example of how I use it.  The poles are to what I refer.  At approximately the 2:45 mark you can see what is probably the most extreme use I've put it to  Naturally, the video doesn't do it justice, but when you're standing in or in front of the yard it's truly a sight to behold.

Very nice. Thank you for sharing the vid and idea. I had my first Halloween and Christmas show this year and was curious as to what good uses would be for the VU wizard as I am now going in all the way. With after Christmas sales we now stoked to have over 50,000 LEDs (I know that is child's play to most, but we are very excited to see the show grow) and am awaiting spring and summer sales for more controllers. Now I know what I can be doing in the meantime with learning the VU wizard....I have 4 acres of yard to plan for.

You have a great show.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dave. 

As always, I attribute the precision of my work mostly to the Beat Wizard and my OCD attention to detail in my animation and now the Visualizer.  And I don't mind saying so.  If it wasn't for that support I'd probably still be working on my first sequence.

Very nice. Thank you for sharing the vid and idea. I had my first Halloween and Christmas show this year and was curious as to what good uses would be for the VU wizard as I am now going in all the way. With after Christmas sales we now stoked to have over 50,000 LEDs (I know that is child's play to most, but we are very excited to see the show grow) and am awaiting spring and summer sales for more controllers. Now I know what I can be doing in the meantime with learning the VU wizard....I have 4 acres of yard to plan for.

You have a great show.

Thanks for the kind words. You should be able to do some serious damage with 'only' 50,000 lights.  :D :D

I keep saying that I'm going to re-do my poles (or make new ones) using green and red to make them look more like real VU meters but it still hasn't come to the top of my list.   

Don't hesitate to play around with the attack/release times in the VU Wizard. It makes quite a difference.  I use the peak meter function and I've found the look I want with a zero attack time and a 25 ms decay time.  As always, YMMV.  The VU Wizard upgrade that now includes a percentage value for the time a channel will be lit is a HUGE improvement in ease of use.

Good luck.  I'm looking forward to seeing your videos.

"...and my OCD attention to detail in my animation..."

LOL, George, I can so relate to that!!  Keep up your awesome talent!!