Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie light questions, e.g. does 5mm=wide angle, etc.

jmccon2

Hello everyone.  I'm a newbie and I'm looking to purchase LED lights for my first light display in 2014.  I'm going to do as suggested in this forum and go for the Show Time Central Starter Pack.  As you are all well too aware, it is very expensive, so I'm hoping to snag it on sale.

At any rate, I'm looking to buy LED mini lights for my display.  I'm sticking with Red, White, and Green.  So here are my questions:

• from what I read, it looks LED wide angle lights are slightly better than just regular LED mini lights.  Do you agree?
  • Does 5mm=wide angle?
  • I've looked at CDI, HLE, MITS, and christmas-leds.com.  CL looks to be the cheapest (11.70) with HLE coming in a close second (12.12).  Has anyone used CL?
  • 100 count of lights or 2 strands of 50 lights?I realize that sometimes the shorter strands would be better because they are needed to finish off a bush or something like that.  But what if I have a lot of area to cover... in that case, is the recommendation to buy the 100 light strands because they are slightly cheaper, or is there a reason to buy 2 50 count lights instead?
  • Warm white vs. clear.  Ack!  I have no clue which to get, I just know I don't want the blue looking lights.Suggestions?
  • As long as I stay away from LED strands that have a built in controller, they should work with LOR.... right?
  • Silly question alert!  If I have 5 trees and will be putting 3 colors on them (red, white, green), I'm assuming that is 15 channels.  Is that correct?

Thanks so much!

I look forward to chatting with all of you this upcoming year :)

Janet

• from what I read, it looks LED wide angle lights are slightly better than just regular LED mini lights.  Do you agree?
  • Slightly, not a big fan of the 5mm minis, they just dont show up well enough for me,  ( except net lights ) I use the C6, they have a larger viewable surface for the passerbys
  •  
  • 100 count of lights or 2 strands of 50 lights?I realize that sometimes the shorter strands would be better because they are needed to finish off a bush or something like that.  But what if I have a lot of area to cover... in that case, is the recommendation to buy the 100 light strands because they are slightly cheaper, or is there a reason to buy 2 50 count lights instead?
  • I buy all 100 ct strands, and shorten them if I need to.
  • Warm white vs. clear.  Ack!  I have no clue which to get, I just know I don't want the blue looking lights.Suggestions?
  • All depends on the look you want to achieve, personally for my show I like the clear but they  are slightly bluish, but that's just me
  • As long as I stay away from LED strands that have a built in controller, they should work with LOR.... right?
  • yes technically any light should work BUT some LED's are not dimmable, so be wary, being able to dim your lights is paramount when sequencing ( IMHO )
  • Silly question alert!  If I have 5 trees and will be putting 3 colors on them (red, white, green), I'm assuming that is 15 channels.  Is that correct?
  • you are right on if you want to control the trees independently of one another,  if you wanted to ALWAYS do the trees as a group, 3 channels would do.

Lights are personal preferences and that depends on what they are used on.  How far to the road or viewing area?  If there is a great distance then yes larger bulbs.  If you are real close to the road then 5mm would work just fine.  I personally like the look of the 5mm lights.  

100 count works great if you have a lot of area to cover and they are cheaper.  Pros: Cheaper, one less wire connection to get wet and trip.  Cons: Maybe to long for some areas, or to finish lighting a tree that needs  just a little more than a single strand.

Buy the Sealed lights from the vendors you mentioned and you will be OK they are dimmable and Fullwave. 

I have ordered several times from Christmas-Leds, and I have another preorder from there this year.

Warm White LEDS look similar to the old light bulbs you have in your house a little more yellow hue to them.  Cool white looks more blue.

This is the only thing i have not figured out yet. What color to use. Stick with multi or go all one color per string. Decisions decisions decisions.