Light-O-Rama Forums

Best lights for LED Mega Tree?

Scott Tuthill

Wondered what recommendations folks have for the best LED lights to use for a Mega Tree. I am planning a relatively small Mega Tree -- 10-12' tall. What are the pros and cons of using C6, M6, or 5mm? The typical viewing distance will be from 75-150' away.

Thanks for whatever advice you can offer.

Scott

Most all I have seen have used c6s but im sure m6s would work as well

I'll be using c6s on my arches spiral trees and mega tree next year

I have used mini's, M6's and C5's for Mega tree during past 3 years.  I have come to my conclusion that I like best the C5's for Mega, M6's for mini trees and mini's for bushes and arches.  I think the C5's really 'filled' the tree best when viewed about 50 feet away, the others didn't in my opinion.

I think c9s would look good just not as many per strand = more strands and usually larger spacing between bulbs so it may take more to get a full effect

Just my 2centa

Cents*

Hi Scott,

Just changed to LED on my current Mega Tree this year. It is 14' tall and I used 5mm LED's. I thought since they were also referred to as "Wide Angle" that they would be visible from many angles. That was true and they are bright but the problem I encountered was that if any were facing completely away from the viewers the LED was so small that the wire blocked it either completely or at least noticeably. I am changing to C6's this year on my new Mega Tree. I will tell you the 5mm look great on mini trees that are the upside down tomato cages. As for a Mega Tree I would go with Tom (Santa's Helper) recommendation as well as many others. The larger bulb will be more noticeable even if flipped away from your viewers. Good luck!

Al

I did a 20' hybrid mega tree.  I had built super strings of Red, White, and Blue 5MM LED's for the Spiral, and used Green 5MM LED's for the "standard" Mega tree.  The star is RGB LED Strips.  So I have an all LED Hybrid Mega tree....

here's Amazing Grace from this years show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hq_qSWeUlM&list=PLQ7Hfrz4K5Ul9GArrsIJ75kxW318UAWAF

Barry

I did a 20' hybrid mega tree.  I had built super strings of Red, White, and Blue 5MM LED's for the Spiral, and used Green 5MM LED's for the "standard" Mega tree.  The star is RGB LED Strips.  So I have an all LED Hybrid Mega tree....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hq_qSWeUlM&list=PLQ7Hfrz4K5Ul9GArrsIJ75kxW318UAWAF

Barry

WOW !!!!!

How many strings/channels of each color did you use for the spiral portion of the tree and how many channels of green?

Barry

That's amazing!  How'd you sequence it to make it spin like that?

WOW, nice weber sequencing effects!  I'm starting to sequence my first weber, single color 16ch. for this year.

I used 16 channels of Red, 16 channels of white, and 16 channels of Blue led's for the spiral.  I twisted the Red, While, and Blue strings together to get a "super-string".  There are 32 strings of Green Led's, 15 channels.  (each channel has 2 strings except for channel 1 and 15 which have 3 strings of Green.)  I have one channel of led strobes, giving me 64 LOR channels for the mega tree itself.  The star has 9 DMX channels for the RGB LED's on the Star.

I built a 64 channel LOR controller box that sits at the base of the tree.  (4 diy controllers.)  Tree is coming down shortly.  After it's down, I'll post pictures of the controller box..

later

Barry