Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I use one C9 LED Xmas light on a single circuit? Electrical Help

jasonb5449

Noob question:

After scavenging through the left over Christmas lights at various stores I picked up a whole bunch of C9 LED light strands. I want to make some spotlights using these for next year's light show 

My question is; if I pull apart a stand of lights and use one bulb, on SPT-1 18/2 wire with a vampire plug on the end, will this work? Or am I going to blow out the LED? 

There doesn't seem to be any type of resister in line of the light strand. Or do I need to figure out the resistance of the 25 LED's in series to know what size resister to put on each spotlight bulb that I'm making?

Thanks for your help!

Is this one of those strands that all of the lamps are sealed to the socket. Or can you unscrew one of the lamps? How many wires between the 2nd and 3rd bulb? If only two wires and has a socket on the far end. I would think that each bulb is receiving the full 120V AC. If there is a third wire between sockets, then I would say that those 25 bulbs are in series and there has to be some resistance some where. BTW are these all white or some other color, or is this a multi color string?

Jason,

I would screw the bulb and measure the voltage inside that socket to be sure. I'm with Max-Paul on this too thinking it may be 120vac. For LED C9s I've seen, the circuitry to lower/convert voltage is inside the each bulb it's self.

If you can, measure the volts inside the socket to be sure.

I hate going back and reading my post most of the time. So, I have to say that when on the 2nd line I mention a socket on the far end. I was referring to a 110V socket so that you can add another string of lights to the end of this string we are talking about. Not a lamp socket this time.

I was wondering the same thing Jim.

LED C9s won't do it for spot lights in my thinking. Nothing big or far away anyways.