Light-O-Rama Forums

Movng this year...downsize for new neighbors or go all out? :)

Al Saunders

Hey Everyone,

I know every situation is different but has anyone had any experience in moving after doing their show for a while? 2013 was our 4th year doing our show. It currently has 48 channels, about 10,000 lights and 2 CCR's. My wife and I are moving this year and we pray we will find the perfect house that has a large front yard, cool neighbors and ease of viewers to watch show. I'm just wondering if I should ease the new neighborhood into the idea of the show instead of going all out. As with most of us I have plans for more this year! :D Including a 20' Mega tree (previous was 14') another controller and maybe more RGB devices. I'd like to know what others have done. I just watched the last Great Christmas Light Fight and the one winner just moved into their house this past year and had the show they did.

Thanks for any input,

Al

I did about 4 years at my previous home before moving two years ago.

One thing I did just after moving in was drafted up a letter introducing my family and threw in about my love for Christmas lights.

With over 200 channels and a 30' mega tree at the old location, I set everything up at the new location. Each weekend I set stuff up and tested it. Neighbors didn't know what to think at first, not knowing what more I would set up. In the end, No complaints. This year I added more stuff. No complaints. Most of the neighbors say they love it. They get to brag to friends/family when they have party's because they use my display at part of their entertainment.

I say go all out.

This year, I'm planning to ask each neighbor what is their favorite Christmas song and I will sequence it and include it in the show for this coming Christmas season. I think they will get a kick out of that.

Again, I say go for it.

Good luck,

Tom 

I had been doing my show for 5 years in New Jersey when it was time to move to Texas. My realtor thought me strange at first as the requirements for my new house relied heavily on Christmas display layout. But, my first year in the house I did my full show- 10 controllers, 40,000 lights. No complaints at all. I'd say find the perfect house and decorate the heck out of it!

I'm in this situation myself right now. For the past 30 years, 27 at the current location my father and me had one of the largest if not the largest display around. This year he is retiring and moving to sunny Florida. We have split the display in 2, half to my house and half to Florida. Problem is I'm going from and yard that wrapped around the house to a patch of grass in the front of mine. Working up a plan now to fit it all in. Now as for the neighbors, who knows they looked at me funny when I had icicles on my house before Halloween this year. So next year should be a shock

Lol

Thanks for the input guys. Hey Tom, that was a great idea. I will definitely do a similar letter when we move. I think my concern also is that I am switching to LED lights. I have several strings in use this year and my current location is VERY close to my neighbor, like about 30-35 feet between our houses and my mini trees are lighting up the side of his house. I have two mini tress with a total of about 1100 5MM LED's on them and they are making all kinds of glows on his house. They are cool with it but we've been neighbors for about 7 years. I just don't want the new neighborhood to have complaints. My new Mega tree will be lite by C6 LED's so I'm hoping they won't be as piercing as the 5MM LED's I am using now. Tom, I also like your idea of setting it up in stages and "testing" so they see bit by bit what is going up. Great idea. Thanks again and now on to deciding what length C6 LED's to order while they are on sale.

Later,

Al