Light-O-Rama Forums

M5 or M6 LEDs?

jeffl

I have a number of M6 LEDs and when I bought them they sounded like they were the same as M5.  What I figured out after I had put them up is that they really are larger than the M5.

The question is which one?  I thought the M6 was a little large coming from minis.  Besides the size, do the M5 have a smaller LED?  Are they noticeably dimmer or the same brightness?

I still have enough minis to give me headaches for a few more years but I'm feeling the need to start switching and I have more strings than I care to count so I want to get it right.

I've got a mix of both. (Or maybe they're all the same and some vendors used the M5 designation and some the M6.) I guess if I can't tell the difference then for all intents and purposes, at least for me, there isn't any difference. There's certainly no noticeable difference in brightness from one to the other.

The biggest difference in brightness is between the retail half-wave light sets and the commercial grade full-wave sets. With those, there's a VERY noticeable difference in brightness.

Here is a link to and image of the difference that comes from Christmas-LEDs Facebook page as it's the best comparison I could find.  There is a difference in size.  What I don't know because I don't have the same color of both is what the difference looks like.  I only know there is a distinct difference between them and minis.

From what I can tell it looks like MITS and CDI have M5.  HLE and Christmas-LEDs has M6.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/931228_535409826496726_1843699560_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Christmas-LEDscom/188578857846493

i have a mix of both as well and cant really tell much of a difference..when lights are on and show is running there is no difference noticed at all

• 2 weeks later...

No noticeable difference, same size LED inside I believe.  From 10 feet away you don't even see it.  Main reason I use C6 icicles, and strings on my Mega tree as well though as they are farthest from the viewer the bigger point of light is much better and more noticeable.  But that was my preference and everyone has their own. I use M5 and M6 on everything else...............

Lenny

I use a mix as well, depending on what the vendor I choose to use that particular year has.  I haven't dissected them but I bet the exact same LED is inside, and the cover is only marginally different so you'd never notice.