Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Planning for 2014 Show

NJJohn

Good morning all and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I hope everyone's holidays and Christmas displays were a big success. My 2013 show concludes on New Years Eve but I have already started my planning for 2014 and I want to change up my mega tree.

Currently my Mega Tree is 20’ tall with a 3’ star on the top. There are 64 columns of lights (16 Red, 16 Green, 16 White, 16 Multi) with each strand consisting of 200 incan lights. I added 4 spiral strands of multi’s this year because I wanted to change it up some from last year. Four definitely added some coolness to the tree but I need to go to at least 6 or 8 strands next year. It’s a huge part of my display and whenever people see me setting up the lights, the first question they always ask is if I am putting up that monster tree again so it has proven to be a crowd favorite and a feature I won’t eliminate. For 2014 I want to go taller, possibly 30’ however with the optimum position for guy wires being 80% of pole height, I may not have the 24’ in all directions to pull that off. I will need to take some measurements but I believe I can at least do 25’ tall.

I am currently using the Christmas Light Show Mega Tree kit that utilizes a 1-1/4” pipe for the upright and 1-1/2” for the base. The 20’ tree consists of two 10’ lengths of 1-1/4” pipe connected using the 1-1/4 x 10” pole pin supplied by Christmas Light Show. This design has worked nicely for me but I have questions/concerns once I go taller because of the added forces being placed on the tree from wind, weight of lights, weight of the poles, etc. I plan on expanding the base legs from 5’ to 10’ for increased stability but here are my questions:

1. Has anyone done this using three 10’ sections of pipe with the pole pins mentioned above or should I look for a supplier for 15’ lengths because Home Depot/Lowes only offer 10’ lengths?

2. Has anyone increased the number of guy wires in order to reduce the distance from the pole?

3. Is the 1-1/4” pole sufficient enough for a 30’ tall tree or do I need to go with a bigger pipe?

There are a lot of mega trees out there so I know I am asking the right people on this board because I know I am not trying something that has already been attempted. Thirty feet tall will be a truly awesome mega tree that will be seen from a far distance but I want to make sure I do this right. I don’t want this tipping over. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

John

This is my second year having a mega tree in my display.  This year my tree is 24ft./27ft. including the star.  I am using 3 pieces of 1 1/4 black water pipe.  2 10ft sections and a 6ft section.  The sections are put together with 2 12inch pole pins from Christmas Light Show.  I also use the pully topper from the same vender.  I used 4 guy wires to hold the pole in place.  The base of the pole was also 2ft in the grould.  I used 24 100 count c6 strings on the tree.

There were a couple of days where we had 50-60mph winds and it did just fine.  I have to add though, I'm in San Diego so we do not get the snow and ice that some do which would add extra weight.

This is my second year having a mega tree in my display.  This year my tree is 24ft./27ft. including the star.  I am using 3 pieces of 1 1/4 black water pipe.  2 10ft sections and a 6ft section.  The sections are put together with 2 12inch pole pins from Christmas Light Show.  I also use the pully topper from the same vender.  I used 4 guy wires to hold the pole in place.  The base of the pole was also 2ft in the grould.  I used 24 100 count c6 strings on the tree.

There were a couple of days where we had 50-60mph winds and it did just fine.  I have to add though, I'm in San Diego so we do not get the snow and ice that some do which would add extra weight.

Thanks Redman, I appreciate the input. I have considered sinking a concrete base into the ground for the center poll and will most likely to that route. That should add considerable stability to it. How far out from the poll are your guy wires?

Thanks Redman, I appreciate the input. I have considered sinking a concrete base into the ground for the center poll and will most likely to that route. That should add considerable stability to it. How far out from the poll are your guy wires?

I need to remeasure but I believe 11-12ft. from the pole.

When using a pole and going that high with that many lights, you might consider adding guy wires at mid point. Especially living up north where the snow/ice/wind can make or break a mega tree. Been doin this for 8 tears and have heard plenty stories of "I should have".

I'm using a Rohn 25 radio tower for my 33' mega tree. I have 192 strands of 100ct LED C6s and then the 3' star, plus lights strands and floods running up and down the tower (over 20,000 lights). I like the tower because I can climb up it to hang more lights :-)

My guy wires are roughly 20' out from the tower and with using the tower, there is no need for mid range guys.

the radius of the light strands is a 9 1/2 feet out from the tower.

It has withstood the brizzards with 70+ mph winds and 3/4 inch of ice storms here in Oklahoma.

One thing to consider whether using a pole or tower and 30+ feet of light strands, you might want to beef up your strands using 17-guage or bigger wire (electric fence wire) to support the strands so your not putting all the pressure from wind or weight of ice/snow on the strands themselves. It will prolong the life of your light strands and not pull the wires out of the sockets.

IMG_3261_zpsdd468596.jpg

IMG_3270_zps8f1448e6.jpg

IMG_3269_zpsa57a5bd2.jpg

DSC05058_zpsc47f89f9.jpg

DSC04972_zps6b10175f.jpg

I think you can get 20ft lengths of Pipe at a plumbing supply house.  I would think it would be stronger with less joints in it.

Jerry

• Like 1

Here is a pic of the ice we had last week.

With 19,200 bulbs like this, weight can be a huge factor in the structure of a mega tree.

DSC05228_zpscf632365.jpg

Tom,

Wife and I came by your place a couple days ago.  Sure enjoyed it.  33 ft shishhhhh and I am pondering a 15 ft for next year.  I liked how you programmed the trunk. Also liked the arch over the garage.

Tom,

Wife and I came by your place a couple days ago.  Sure enjoyed it.  33 ft shishhhhh and I am pondering a 15 ft for next year.  I liked how you programmed the trunk. Also liked the arch over the garage.

Thank you!!!

If you need help planning or setting up the 15 ft tree next year, let me know.

Yep, the arch won me over too. I already have plans for what to add next year :).

Thank you!!!

If you need help planning or setting up the 15 ft tree next year, let me know.

Yep, the arch won me over too. I already have plans for what to add next year :).

That is what I am doing also.  I hope I can get in contact with Don before he takes his down just in case I need to look at it first hand again.  I lost my notes about his trees from last year.  I would like to do something similar to his but inbetween his 12 ft and large one.  I will be ordering the lights next month and need to get the design nailed down now.

This is probably a stupid question (I am in South Florida) but couldn't you just leave the lights on or turn them on every so many minutes to keep them warm and not have ice buildup????

Here is a pic of the ice we had last week.

With 19,200 bulbs like this, weight can be a huge factor in the structure of a mega tree.

This is probably a stupid question (I am in South Florida) but couldn't you just leave the lights on or turn them on every so many minutes to keep them warm and not have ice buildup????

LED lights probably won't generate enough heat to melt the ice.

Jerry

LED lights probably won't generate enough heat to melt the ice.

Jerry

They sure didn't melt anything here in Oklahoma last week.  We had to wait for the big blow from Texas to melt the ice.

When using a pole and going that high with that many lights, you might consider adding guy wires at mid point. Especially living up north where the snow/ice/wind can make or break a mega tree. Been doin this for 8 tears and have heard plenty stories of "I should have".

I'm using a Rohn 25 radio tower for my 33' mega tree. I have 192 strands of 100ct LED C6s and then the 3' star, plus lights strands and floods running up and down the tower (over 20,000 lights). I like the tower because I can climb up it to hang more lights :-)

My guy wires are roughly 20' out from the tower and with using the tower, there is no need for mid range guys.

the radius of the light strands is a 9 1/2 feet out from the tower.

It has withstood the brizzards with 70+ mph winds and 3/4 inch of ice storms here in Oklahoma.

One thing to consider whether using a pole or tower and 30+ feet of light strands, you might want to beef up your strands using 17-guage or bigger wire (electric fence wire) to support the strands so your not putting all the pressure from wind or weight of ice/snow on the strands themselves. It will prolong the life of your light strands and not pull the wires out of the sockets.

Santa's Helper, thanks for the advice and that is a beautiful mega tree. There is something about a 30' mega tree that will capture people's attention and not let it go. Also, I will definitely add wire to the strands because that's just to much stress on the wires, they won't make it through a season if I don't. Thanks for the pictures.

John

Glad to be of help John,

Here is a pic of how I used that wire at the top end of the strands.

I used small spring clips attached to each end of each strand. I then used bigger spring clips to hold several strands with the smaller clips. This saved a bunch of space up top. When you go for more strands, it can get very crowded up top in a hurry.

Oh, the topper is a metal frame locally manufactured.

I circled a couple areas to show how the wire was wrapped around the smaller spring clips for the light strands, Now there is no pressure on the light strand itself.

At the bottom, you can use that bottom spring clip to attach to stakes, or the tree ring or what ever your using.

DSC03264-1_zps01b61fc5.jpg

And while I'm thinking about it,

here is a couple pics while building the mega strands.

I measured an area in the back yard to exactly the length of the light strands, attached a metal hook to the stockade fence and the other to the wood shed. Got a spring clip and put it on the hook. Attached the wire and ran it to the other hook where I put a spring clip on that one and attached the wire to the clip making it nice and tight (note, make several twists of wire around the clips to keep from slipping loose.

Get a strand of lights and stretch it out a little from one end to the other end. Roll the strand in a ball. Attach one strand on a clip with a zip tie. Get the balled up strand and wrap around the wire as you walk the length of the wire and attach that end of the strand to the clip with a zip tie. Wrapping around the wire will keep the strand from sagging. Now do the other colors on that same wire. Once all the colors are wrapped around the wire, go to the middle of the length of strand and push down on the whole strand. This will tighten each end up and prevent sagging later when your mega tree is built for the show.

An extra note: I attached zip ties about every 5 bulbs down the length of the strand. This will keep your lights from seperating from the wire when you roll the mega strand up for storage.

Once you get a few done, you develope a rythem and it gets easier and faster.

I think spending the time to do all this has saved my lights from damage because I haven't had a problem in the 4 years of using them.

DSC00617_zps0d73a1ac.jpg

DSC00620_zpsa037ab2d.jpg

Great information in this thread.  I'm planning on adding a mega tree next year.  Had hoped to do it this year, but just ran out of time.  I'm working on building a portable hole as my base.  I'm going to go for a 20' tree.  I have no experience doing anything like this, so the more help I can get, the better. 

Santas Helper, great detail, thanks!  In the close up picture of the topper area, it looks like the end of the strands themselves are also wrapped around the spring clip in addition to the support wire?

Also, where's a good place to get a star that size for top?

This is the reason I love the LOR community. Everyone is so helpful. Santa's Helper, thank you very much. I asked a few questions about mega trees and you took time out of your day to offer a ton of extremely useful information and included pictures. I will certainly put that information to good use and now I will try and pay it forward.

Klayfish, I jumped in head first three years ago with my first mega tree and jumped right to a 20 footer. I purchased the kit from Christmas Light Show It came with everything I needed. All I needed to supply was the pipe and the lights. The star I use is a 3' tall three dimensional Bethlehem Star purchased from 3G Lighting Creations and it's perfect for a 20' tree. Over the last two years, my tree has expanded to Red/Green/White/Multi and some spirals which now means my tree utilizes 5 LOR boxes and 15,000 lights. I've spent some money on that tree but I love it, it looks awesome and is a lot of fun to work with. It's hard to believe my first year was just two colors but once you start you just want to expand expand expand. Have fun.

I hope this information helps. Ask more questions and you know you will get a lot of answers from this community. Good luck.

Happy New Year to all.

John