Light-O-Rama Forums

Groups versus Tracks

George Simmons

This was my first year. I programed 10 songs on track 1. George if I were to use your system for expansion which I plan to do, the sequences on track 1 is that going to be effected when I copy to another track?  Which track will the controller follow or does the other tracks over write on the master track.?

If you make no changes to what you have now - meaning don't move or delete any channels from your existing list - and if you add new channels ONLY at the bottom of your existing list, then nothing you've already sequenced will be affected in any way.  You can add whatever you want and copy to a second track to create any number of groups and no existing sequencing will be changed.

If you have questions (and it sounds like you might) give me a call at 763-250-3008 before proceeding and we'll make sure you have no problems.

• 9 months later...

Hi George,

I've realized that I've totally screwed up my ability to easily add new channels to my sequences (but I don't feel too bad as it's only my 1st year).  So I've been reading this posting (along with others) regarding Groups and Tracks so that I can rebuild my sequences and get it right this time.  I understand the concept of the Master track and adding new channels to the end of the track (mostly due to the save index if I'm understanding correctly).  I've got my new Master track created but have some questions as to how to proceed from here. 

I know that you said to only copy a channel and never duplicate.  However, I also see that the Sequence Editor has a function called Duplicate Track.  Can I use that to create my Groups track and automatically copy all of my channels from the Master to the Group tracks or will I need to create a blank track and copy each channel individually (which would take considerable time)? 

I know that you also said it's a bad idea to have Groups in your Master track.  So I'm going to have a Groups track but I also want to create separate tracks for each part of my display (i.e. front yard, side yard, back yard).  Can I use the Duplicate Track function against the Groups track to create my Front Yard track (thus automatically copying all of my channels and groups) and then just remove any channels from the Front Yard track?  Again, it would be nice if I didn't have to copy each individual channel but I want to make sure I'm not going to have problems down the line.

Finally, one other quick question - do you leave unused/spare channels in your Master track and then just rename them as you need or do you remove the channel and add it back in later if you need to.  I'm just curious as to the best way to set it all up.

Thank you!

Joel

HI George,

Could I get a Copy of the LCC File and 1 of your sequences? I had major challenges this year with the DMX portion of my network. (My Fault for not buying the same fixture from the same vendor. Saved some $, but caused more headaches than the saving of $ was worth.)

kiplorenzo@gmail.com

thank you

Kip