Light-O-Rama Forums

Arch sequences

Softball Shawn

Can anyone help me out with some arch sequences? I am adding four arches for next year and don't really know where to start on sequencing them.

You can check out my sequences here: https://sdrv.ms/NiGv0E

Look at the 80 channel sequemces for 2010,2011 and 2012.    I didn't use my arches this year {2013}, but still utilized the same technique in my 2013 sequences for my Porch supports and stair lights.  The 2013 will be in the 48 Channel sequences area.

Hope they may help you see how easy it really is to do.

sequemces = sequences.  Darn skinny fat fingers hit the m instead of "n".

Shawn,

A bit more info would be helpful in getting you some help.

What number of segments (channels) are you making your arches?

This would help us to help you.

My arches are coro arches and are 3 channels each, usually 3 to 4 are used, so usually takes 9 to 12 channels for mine.   But should still give you an idea how it all comes together.  You can also see the arches I used in my videos on Vimeo.  Urls on another computer, but if you go to Vimeo and look for user name "Cataptra LeMagicka" you can find them.

I prefer using an odd number of channels.

I think it gives a smoother look at the top of the arch.

My arches are four @ five channels each and Two @ seven channels each.

I prefer using an odd number of channels.

I think it gives a smoother look at the top of the arch.

My arches are four @ five channels each and Two @ seven channels each.

Joe,

Can you please explain what you mean by the arch being smoother at the top with an odd number of channels? I am in the planning stages for next year and want to do my channel configuration now and since I have never made arches, I only went with 8 channels because that seemed like the norm for them. I am open to going with 7 but want to understand first. Is it that it looks better when it is in use?

Orville:

Could you tell me more about your coro archs? I am only familiar with pvc and rgb archs. Did you make them or purchase them? Are they punched out of plastic coro board? Did you design them yourself?Thank you.

Orville:

Could you tell me more about your coro archs? I am only familiar with pvc and rgb archs. Did you make them or purchase them? Are they punched out of plastic coro board? Did you design them yourself?Thank you.

They were purchased from Holiday Coro, they were called baby Sidewalk Arches.   But HC no longer makes them, I guess they weren't a big seller or very popular, but I like them.  They are made of coro and I used 3 strands of 100 count incandescent bulbs {orange for Halloween, Clear for Christmas}, each arch uses 3 channels and I usually use 3 or 4 in my display for a total of 9 or 12 channels.   They could also be set up as 6 strands of 50 ct. bulbs, which would be 6 channels per arch - or connect 2 50 ct. strands together to make 100 ct, still using only 3 channels , or could be set up with 15 strands of 20 ct. bulbs, making each arch 15 channels or you could still make them 3 channels using the 20 ct. strands by tying 5 strands together for each channel.

So I could set them up in assorted ways, just found it easier to use 3 100 ct. strands to keep it all simple.

But anyone could probably make these out of coro and just punch or drill out the holes for bulb placement.   The way these are designed is they were supposed to be locked together by ears where the stake would be screwed between them, but I could never get them to go together and stay put as I was assembling them, so I ended up making wooden frames that I screwed them into and then screwed the frame to the stakes.  Made them much sturdier and able to withstand stronger winds, as well as keep from warping/bending and flexing in the center areas where no stakes were mounted.

I'm actually going to try and get some larger coro and try and make them a little larger and frame them in the same manner, this is so I can make them even sturdier than what I can do with the current ones I have.

I thought the coro arches were a great idea, but since Holiday Coro quit selling them, I can only guess, they didn't sell very well.   I know I bought them and I think maybe only a couple of others did as well.  

But seems most folks still prefer the PVC type arch since the coro arches you can't see through or under like you can with PVC.  

But I want to rebuild the coro arches quite a bit larger and make them mountable to a wall up off the ground, or where they would sit next to the building wall on the ground.  Using them in areas of the display where they don't block anything else, or is an open area where I just need to put something so as not to have a "dead zone" in the display, an area that is wide open, but has nothing in it. 

Shawn,

With an arch of 7 channels channel 4 would be at the top of the arch. X inches left of center and the same X inches right of center.

With an 8 channel arch, channels 4 and 5 meet at the top center of the arch. It is just IMHO that the seven channel arch looks smoother over the top center of the arch wen in use.

I built my first arches this year and went with 7 after looking at all options. It works really nicely and I think the clapping effect looks better with an odd number.