Light-O-Rama Forums

Buying LED strings

hoek.fred

I'm starting to stock up on lights during the year for my first setup and I was wondering; is there's anything I need to lookout for when I'm buying or programming LED lights?

From what I've read some LED aren't dimmable and people use a "plugger" or connect a string into the controller (before the LEDs) for a voltage drop but if I achieve my goal, I'm going ot be +70% LED and 30% incan. I ask because I know technology changes all the time and I'm not sure if all LEDs in big box stores nowadays are OK with dimming and such.

I dim all my LED's and every one of them are from either Home Depart {Martha Stewart are the problem children here and won't dim}, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, CVS, K-Mart, Sears, and Big Lots.

Been using many of them for years and some newer ones, all have dimmed fine.   read the forums, you can find a lot of info on which Led's and brands folks have purchased that didn't dim.

Also any LED strand that has a built in controller, those can only be FULL ON or FULL OFF, no dimming, or any other special lighting command can be used with those types, and that also includes incandescents that have their own built on controller.