Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat5e bootless?

oilmoney

What's bootless mean? No connecting ends on it? Building a list of what I need for next year and seen the 10ft's on LOR site booted and everything else is bootless...hmmm

A cable boot is a little rubber boot that goes over the back part of the connector.  The purpose is to protect locking tab of the connector from being broken off while the cable is being through a bunch of other stuff.  Some people love them and some hate them.  Personally I hate them.

Bootless CAT5 cables do not have the plastic type coverings over/around/near the connectors. Those that do have coverings are less prone to snagging when removing from some tight spaces/enclosures. 

Unfortunately, I have experienced boots that get stiff in cold weather, and make it really difficult to squeeze them hard enough to get the cable to release.

Or just slide the boots down and keep them outside the control box. All store bough cat 5 cables have boots on them and can be slid down off connector. It is a pain to get boot through hole on control box.