Light-O-Rama Forums

My first video for 2013- w/ dumb little trees

steve synek

Just sharing my video..........my unique item ( I believe) is 27 channel DMX "dumb little trees"..............................

I went 100% RGB this year..........

Have a look see...............

Steve

• Like 2

Your dumb little trees look great. Bravo on the execution.  The sequencing is simple and not overbearing and to me that makes it a much cleaner presentation.

Aah, yet another full blown display with 100% RGB. I was about 75% RGB this year and will be 100% RGB in 2014.

As always, Steve, Great display. Keep up the good work.

Love the dumb trees.  Almost feel like I am insulting you when I call them dumb trees but I love the effect that instead of making them trees with three different sections you used them to make 3 different size trees.  I have a lot of stick trees that  I  have been using for several years with 600 red, green and white lights on each of them. The lights are needing replacing, the days of picking up lights after Christmas are long gone and the weight of all those lights tend to stress the stick trees.  So I was thinking of replacing the lights with the RGB nodes but every time I start looking at them all I do is stress about not even knowing what I am looking at.  And from just what I think I seen it will not be cheap doing stick  trees with them or maybe I am missing something.  Was wondering about the size of your trees and how many nodes you had on each and what you figure the total cost was of doing those trees.  If the time and cost of putting on a display isn't enough yet to make me give up this crazy hobby, its that I think the new technology is over my head and more then I can handle.

Thanks everyone.

I am stuck on the old manual sequencing with the animation screen. I keep saying next year I'll learn superstar.

Each tree takes  1 & 1/2 rolls of 150 Dumb strips (74 pixel sections). I purchased IP65 rolls off of Ebay for $12 or less.  Time will tell how long these hold up.  Each star take 90 pixels of a 300 pixel dumb strip.

The trees stand just under 48 inches tall. Constructed pretty much like my previous LED trees and can be collapsed for storage- I'll post some pictures next year!!!!!

Steve

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks so good I think I hate you 

Thanks................I think!!!!

I feel the same way about the folks that can actually program with Superstar.............program a pixel tree.....................I have been beating myself up for months as I just can't start programming yet for this year.............

Steve, the way I learned SS was to buy one of Brian's sequences. I broke it down over a couple of weeks. I studied every single morph, image and scene he had in it. I now sequence everything with Superstar. Once you have the "A-ha" moment, that's all it takes. 

When the new updates come for S3, if it's what I think it will be, I will need nothing other than LOR software. Of course,Superstar is how I do about 98% of my sequencing now. I throw in a bit of Nutcracker now and again, but it's sparse.

Ron

I have tried three or four times to set my display up in the Visualizer and just couldn't stand it. I just can't get the layout to work in any method I tried. The lines are never straight. I have 8 windows with chopped CCRs and just can't get them laid out.  I am still trapped in my own head with how great the old grid pattern works (for me) and all my straight but not continuous or contiguous layout.  Ohhhh how I would love to be able to do a simple color sweep across the display or from the center outward in multi directions!!!!  

Steve 

If you don't mind, send me a copy of your visualizer, and I'll see if I can make some sort of logical sense out of it to help you out with the Superstar. It may take me a couple days, but I made several work for other folks. I will PM my email address.

Ron

I appreciate the offer so much.  But I never created anything worth saving.  It's been many months since I tried, but as I recall, I started with my windows made out of CCRs. Each window is only 48 pixels formed in a "square" figure 8.  I could not get the pixels straight. I could not create a perfect rectangle with 90 degree corners.  I could not stop at 48 pixels. I could not create the center line though the rectangle with the last 8 pixels.  It was to frustrating for this person who just loves the click a dot of the grid in the old animation window.  As I recall, when I tried to "bump" a pixel in an attempt to straighten a line, it just created another issue somewhere else.

Steve

• The topic was locked