Light-O-Rama Forums

Radio antenna for the EDM transmitter

drums114

I want a radio antenna for the EDM transmitter instead of the little wire that they give you for my 2014 display.  What are people using to plug into the RCA antenna plug in the unit?  I am sure there is a radio antenna that is made to plug into that RCA connection....let me know.

I used a chunk of RG-59 U with a TNC end, and then a TNC to RCA adaptor, I measured the length of my frequency 11188 divided by 91.1 = 122.81 inches, then divided by 12 and got 10 feet 2.81 inches. this is the "multiple" length (or one can the 122.81 times whatever to get a total length) and THEN, cut the outer shield 122.81 inches from the FAR end, there by creating an ungrounded (or un-shieled) section. This section is the antenna, the rest is the feed cable TO the antenna.

I ended up using 64 some odd feet (this way the antenna is up the side of my 80 foot tower, just NOT all the way up). I used a couple of short chunks of grey PVC pipe as Antenna mounts and mounted the unshielded section vertically between them.

I get a total of 4 miles (2 in any direction) off a 200mw EDM this way.

HOWEVER, the director is currently in the basement, and we have a couple RG6 cables that go up to the tower, so currently I've got the EDM there, and running the mismatched cables to the antenna.

I need a pair of "audio line drivers" (see my post in the hardware section, accessories, "remote transmitter" ) and have ordered parts to build a stereo pair of drivers and receivers, this way I can place the EDM back out at the tower.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/30395-add-on-remote-300-feet-fm-transmitter/

Greg

What is it?  What is in the PVC?

It is what is known as a dipole, they most likely are using a simple wire arrangement, I do like the PVC as an insulator AND weather proofing.... I simply used a chunk of cable myself.

Greg

This year, I cabled up a two meter HRT antenna and it seems to tune just fine. Now I don't own an SWR meter to be sure its working as well as it should but so far, nice clear/clean signal at the minimum power on my EDM-RDS. I'm not looking for distance, rather clean signal here within a couple of blocks of this house and not past that.

So if I wanted to make my own folded dipole antenna and broadcast on 88.7 FM, I should make the lambda 43 inches then fold that in half?  How long should the wire be then to the transmitter?  86 inches?  Is that right?

I plan on making this from some old coax cable I have with some zip wire.

One full wave for 88.7 Mhz is 11188 divided  by 88.7 which equals 126.1303 inches So diggind into my "how to build a dipole pages I come up with this....

31 and 11/16 inches for each portion (top and then bottom (hot and earth, respectively))

Here:

http://www.radiobrandy.com/dipole1.html

note the balun.... IMPORTANT !

and that the top connector is center only and the bottom is shield only.

Greg

• Like 1

so 31 inches up and 31 inches down on the loop?  How long should the wire going to the transmitter be then and what should be the lamp cord length?

Sorry, I should have clarified myself. the Dipole is ( 31 and 11/16 ) for each element (hot and shield). the loop makes a "Balun" and is only 3 turns of a 6" loop of coax .

Greg

the length of each element is critical for distance

Hi Greg - Sorry I am just learning all of this now.  I am confused, I was going to make your antenna using coax and lamp (zip) wire like in your youtube video. 

So the lamp wire needs to be 31 11/16 inches total?

It's Not my video, but looks like it would work.

correct for your frequency of 88.7 Mhz, EACH one..... The shield is one, the centre wire is another. SO end to end is just under 64 inches (31-11/16 x 2).

Greg