Light-O-Rama Forums

House projection?

crowninb

Has anyone seen or heard of something like this? I really love the 3d image mapping and 3d projecting companies are using on huge buildings for marketing but came across this video when I was messing around on YouTube. Was looking at simple projection of snowflakes but feel this be so cool.

Just curious how cool this be and incorporate it into my LOR display ccr tree etc

Anyone out there into projectors and can recommend any? For future proofing etc

Thanks

B

Www. digitalpressworks.com

This is called "Projection Mapping", I think.

I can't help you out because I know nothing about it, except it is extremely cool. 

I'm not sure, but this is NOT a display (that I can see)  what I see is an "overlay" like what I did (even though poorly)  with the opening to my lightshow video.

Someone is simply using a video editor to overlay this stuff onto a standing shot of a home, it is not a display someone can come and see, per say.

If that is a real live projection, the bulb must be like 5000 watts, or something, to light the entire house like that (and that big & wide)..

Greg

I have seen this used In Halloween displays. It can be done just couldn't tell you how. It looks like the house would have to be dark for it to work.

I have further done research into this and most that do it use any where from 2200-5000 lumens single hd projector. I would beg to differ that it's not a show, there are other videos that take similar songs like tso and isolate sections of the house to the music just like the lighting.

With the people that I have talked to that have done this I believe that I will be able to pair it with my current LOR ccr tree and controllers. I don't have the biggest yard or house so to much actually lights in my opinion would look over done. That's why I am hoping to have it snowing etc across my entire house. I may try and dive into this and incorporate it into my current LOR and see where it takes me.

B

Ya, I'll agree that it IS an actual show (I went to their website after I posted my first response), 

It's not for me though, you can NOT see my house from the road at the front of our property, as the house is some 450 feet around a hill and there are tons of trees.

Greg

I just hate seeing videos like that!  As soon as I saw the videos all I kept thinking  was I want that, I want that, I want that.  I then threw myself on the floor and cried when I had to tell myself I could never afford to do that.  Since I am more of a plug and play guy I am curious as to what a set up like was in the video would cost.  After you buy the projector I am sure its a matter of how much you pay them to do the video for you.  I do not think you would have a problem getting cars out to see your house and I have a feeling it would be a lot less work putting up and taking down then the display I have now.  Who knows with the cost of all my lights, controllers, props and CCR's it might even be cheaper and a lot less work.  I am sure you could still do your animation with it but I have a feeling the only thing people would be watching or notice would be the mapping.  I think with mapping a static display would be just as effective.  Was not able to find a website for this company.  Does anyone have it or know any costs?

GAWD, some one ALSO up at this hour on NYED (day) ??

One thing to ponder is that the projection gets "Pare-axial Error" the farther off centre from the projector that it is viewed from (like looking at a gauge from the side).

The projections are not that hard, to do, all one needs is a still of the area to be projected on, and some simple wireframe mapping of the areas to be projected on.

putting together a video that would run (once the wire-frame areas are mapped), would be quite easy actually.

the guys link is in the first post, But I'll re-post it here also.

http://www.digitalpressworks.com

Greg

Well it was good news that it was not nearly as costly as I thought.  The bad news is as my wife was going by I told her all about it showed her the video.  She was not nearly as impressed as me, as was expecting to see something like the mapping we saw at the Disney Castle a few years ago at Halloween time.  And I could see from the video you would almost need a light colored house to get it to show well, not a lot of windows or shrubs around it.  I did see they said it could be made to work with LOR but wonder how that would really work.  I think with the right house it could be great but guess it will not be in my immediate plans.

• The topic was locked