Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT 1 or 2

Dave S

Spt1 is lighter and easy to work with, if using LEDs I would say use Spt1, if using incand. then Spt2. Just my 2 cents.

Earle

The SPT2 has thicker insulation.  I have read it is better to use in summer weather conditions since it has better UV resistance.  If your using SPT1 for LEDs just for Christmas lighting, that should be fine.

They are both rated the same if equal gauge wire, regardless of what some of the vendors list. (They don't always know).  SPT1 is lighter and easier to use.. Neither have UV protection unless it says they do.  The SPT2 has heavier insulation so I may stand more abuse.. but for your yard and Christmas lights... either should be fine.

Spt1 is lighter and easy to work with, if using LEDs I would say use Spt1, if using incand. then Spt2. Just my 2 cents.

Earle

I agree

I was doing the math the other day....and 1000' of spt1 + 100 ends = $225, that will make 10 100' cords, and 100'14ga. Cords are $9-13 locally. So its about half as much to just buy the cords and you have a bunch of nice grounded cords you can use for other things.

Don't forget you get custom lengths with SPT and with extension cords you will have to figure out how to hide the extra cable.  Grounded plugs are nice for outdoor use, however Christmas lights don't have the ground lug so there is no difference.

I vote for SPT 1. Having custom length cords is more for convenience sake for me. Not having a lot of extra cord laying around in the yard and the convenience of storage as compared to HD 14 ga cords is significant when your extension cord count nears 1000.

• Like 1

I agree about the SPT1,

I did 2000 feet of it from CDI (Creative Displays) and 100 female, and 200 male (100 are for snubbers) vampire ends AND ended up using an EXTRA 1200 feet locally, (GAWD, I paid for that mistake)

This summer, I'm ordering an extra 4000 feet from CDI and twice as many vampire ends !! NOT going to run short of cables next year (I only put out about 1/2 of what I bought for lights, ya, sure ya did :)

I am NOT getting caught without wire this time !

I used a matallic "sharpie" to label the cords at the ends, and made MANY "multi-cables" custom length to fit known configurations that will be used over and over.

OH, BTW, I bought a ton of those large plastic containers from Home Depot, and then cut some scrap "corplast" as false bottoms for each layer of cables, I use the "STUDIO WRAP" type cable winding, this way, next year, when it comes to cables, you simply grab the top cable, and start pulling, it feeds out NO TANGLES, once done with that one, remove the false bottom, and do the next cable, and so on.

"STUDIO WRAP" a method of coiling a cable in such a way that it NEVER tangles...... MUST be in a container, start with a loop around the inside of the container, when you get back to the starting point, come back around and start making "figure eights" back and forth inside the container, they will pile up in such a way that they do NOT tangle even with ends that are sticking out 6-10 " along the cable  (remember, multi-cables) works great.

Greg

\

Best advice that I can give you on spt1 or spt2 is to measure how much you need then add 1000 ft. to your count, then, if your lucky you might have enough.

Earle

• Like 1

I used SPT1 this year. Like everyone said, order more than you think you'll need. I ordered something like 2000' and figured I'd need maybe 2/3's of that, and ended up using almost everything.

More advice:  I saw a post that made more sense as I read it, here is some other good advice.

1. When you make your custom cords make them in common lengths, 10', 20, 25, etc... and mark the lengths on the ends.  This way you have some leway on your sent up.

2. No matter what your lengths are, mark them.  Like above a sharpie works the best.  Even a black sharpie works well.

3. Group and ziptie your cables.  If you have a stand of 3 or 4 deer, tie them together and labels such.

4. You cant be too organized!

I made sever items to store my cords better.  I would post the pix, but getting an error saying only 1.5k file size???

I was leaning toward the SPT 2 because of the claimed higher amp rating ...But it didn,t make sense that they were gaining higher amp through thicker insulation with the same guage wire...

I have a roll of spt2 that was given to me. I wanted to use it for my strobes but could not find C9 sockets for spt2. It works great for extension cords but finding sockets for it is a pita.

Action lighting should have C7 & C9 sockets for SPT2, no problem. I use SPT2 almost exclusively, I figure more insulation, less odds of it getting scraped or worn through before we notice and replace it.

I am starting to use some SPT1, but basically only in props, and where I need the thinner insulation to work with multi conductor connectors.

Spt1 here! So much better in cost and you can add in line to your man made cord already. I actually didn't buy the in line vampire plugs, just used the female end and cut a notch on the other end and worked with no problems. Definitely take the advice Mr Talley, add 1000ft to what you think you'll need. I had to have a 1000ft rushed as I ran out and I think I paid more for shipping.

I buy SPT1 from AWCWire.com and pay about $0.13/ft for it from them, plus shipping. Still, adding on vampires at the ends, runs up the cost of the cord overall, so like this morning, I found Home Depot cords on sale for %50 off which are still more expensive than the SPT1 but already completed makes it easier. 50 foot cords for now $12.97 and 100 foot cords for $17.97. That's their %50 off price which is jacked up for the holidays of course and the new price is probably a "break-even" price for them.

Well here is my 2 cents worth.... SPT 1 is easier to work with due to the thickness of the insulation. I live in Florida so low temps don't affect my cords like it did back in South Carolina so keep that in mind.

The insulation is the only difference in the wire ( I have some of both) and SPT 1 is my choice.

Most importantly, make sure what ever you choose have the correct vampire taps - I learned this year they are not interchangeably.

Look for high quality taps. Mine are hard plastic and some covers were very loose.

Also, listen to those above that recommend you add 1000 feet to whatever you think you need. I went back to the store twice and had to pay $42 for 250 ft X 5. I thought I only needed 500 feet.

Measure twice, cut once. If not, like me, you run to Lowe's for 30 15' extension cords....

spt1 works for me I have all incans in my display and no isues. I was worried about the thin insulation on spt 1 but if you do the math you would overload the controller before you would the wire. Not saying some folks don't push a single channel close to it's limits ,but if 1 cord handles say 5 amps 16 x 5 = 80 amps