Light-O-Rama Forums

Animated Lighting Controllers

BlackwolfK9

I am currently looking at 3 AL(animated lighting) controllers that have been converted to LOR. The company that does the conversion is out of Kansas City,MO. The guys name that does the work is Drew Hickman of Holiday Technologies. http://www.holidaytechnologies.com/ I think he charges $59.99 per control box for basic conversion and $79.99 for advanced. From my understanding the advanced option you can run the control box just like any other LOR controller off same cat 5 cable. Basic you need a special adaptor and run a separate line.

So wouldn't it be cheaper to simply purchase LOR equipment in the first place ?

At least you have a warranty then....

Greg

An ELD-30 for $ 299.00  and then the 60 for conversion, (About the same as a STB-16PC from LOR), I' think I would stay with LOR...... 

my 2 cents worth.

Greg

I am currently looking at 3 AL(animated lighting) controllers that have been converted to LOR. The company that does the conversion is out of Kansas City,MO. The guys name that does the work is Drew Hickman of Holiday Technologies. http://www.holidaytechnologies.com/ I think he charges $59.99 per control box for basic conversion and $79.99 for advanced. From my understanding the advanced option you can run the control box just like any other LOR controller off same cat 5 cable. Basic you need a special adaptor and run a separate line.

Drew is one of the approved instructors for teaching Light o Rama software. He holds an excellent two day class all over the USA.

Hi Ken,

Drew might be very good at what he does (never met him) but for overall cost, and the headache, I would not even consider the AL stuff, when I can buy brand new LOR for cheaper, and know it works. ( and I get a warranty to boot yet !).

Greg

I would think it would be worthwhile for anyone that already has Animated Lighting controllers and wants to switch to LOR.

Jerry  

• 2 weeks later...

There is no way I would buy an AL controller just to have it converted. Like you said wouldn't be worth the time or effort when a new LOR box would be cheaper. But if you started with AL and want to go LOR this is a good option for you.  Now I don't know if I will be getting these 3 controllers as due to weather the mail is behind and he is being very impatient and wants to only give til Monday. or he will sell to someone else. Hate dealing with people like that.