Light-O-Rama Forums

Breaker Box...adding Amps?

NV1985

Did any of you have to replace your breakers to use bigger beaker panels or add extra ones for more amps?   What do some of you use that have a lot of boxes?   We have a 100 amp breaker panel on our house and 1 LOR box.  Wondering how far we can get before we would need more, and what to do.

I am lucky enough to have a sub panel outside for pool equipment and I was able to run a bunch of outlets from that.. The pool company tech asked a ton of questions seeing four 20A circuits connected...

Overall going LED is helping a lot, my 30,000 lights eat about 3,000 W when all on & all pixels in white.

Still on a 100 Amp main, you may need to stop using the dryer while running the show...

Still on a 100 Amp main, you may need to stop using the dryer while running the show...

We actually had an electrician come out to get a quote on what it would cost to upgrade to a 225, and he asked if we're able to wash clothes during December.  lol

Did any of you have to replace your breakers to use bigger beaker panels or add extra ones for more amps?   What do some of you use that have a lot of boxes?   We have a 100 amp breaker panel on our house and 1 LOR box.  Wondering how far we can get before we would need more, and what to do.

It's somewhat dangerous to replace a smaller breaker with a larger one because the wiring might not handle the load.

Consider the RGB LED devices; very colorful and use less power.

Never change a breaker to higher amperage unless the feeder wire is the correct gage for that new breaker. I've seen the dangerous results of undersized wire used on an oversized breaker.

• Like 1

We would run all new wire. Thats part of the quote from the electrician (I don't mess with electricity). I guess from what he says you need 225 to hook up solar pannels which we thought about doing in the future, so if we made the jump we would just go all the way. He might be able to install another 100 which would be the cheaper option, we have to check with out power company on that.

Perfect, you are doing it the safe way.  Good planning on your part about adding solar in the future and getting ready for it now.  Good luck with your project and happy holidays.