Light-O-Rama Forums

Having problems with interactive triggers

Uncle Al

I am trying to use interactive triggers to stop a show if rain is detected and then run a rain delay sequence that will not trip my GFCI's.  My rain sensor works well when tested through the hardware utility.  I opened up my show in the show editor and added an interactive group with my rain delay sequence under the interactive tab.  I used the soundboard option hoping that if rain started during the show that it would stop whatever musical sequence was playing and start the rain delay sequence until things dry out.  So now it is raining here and I am getting "errors with sequence" on the status panel - screenshot attached.  The sensor I am using will register an input as long as water is present on it.  Is the constant input signal causing the errors?

post-9688-0-63379900-1387756783_thumb.jp

I see a couple problems with your plan.  The big one is that an interactive group will run in addition to your otherwise running sequences - not in place of. Now I will say that I don't know what really will happen when both the existing sequence and the interactive sequence are both musicals.  I use interactives all the time, but my year round landscape lighting is animation only as are the interactives that run when the appropriate triggers happen.  My interactive groups are all of the Jukebox type so I have no first hand experience with Soundboard type interactives, but I think you are correct that the error is due to the constant trigger signal.  For a Jukebox type, the constant trigger is not a problem at all.

That error message ("ERROR STARTING SEQUENCE (This key is already associated with an element of this collection)") is related to a bug which was fixed in version 3.10.8.  It would happen if a soundboard contained a single sequence and the trigger for that soundboard was tripped while that sequence was playing.

If you choose to upgrade in order to resolve this issue, I would suggest upgrading to the latest release (3.10.14) rather than 3.10.8.

Two more options (besides upgrading):

(1) I believe the bug was only related to soundboards.  So perhaps just using a jukebox would do the trick.

(2) Also, I believe the bug was only if there was a single sequence in the soundboard.  So perhaps creating a second sequence, identical to the first, and putting both in the soundboard, would do the trick.

Now I will say that I don't know what really will happen when both the existing sequence and the interactive sequence are both musicals.

With one possible exception, triggering a musical sequence in an interactive group will cause any other musical sequence that is currently playing to stop immediately.

The one exception is if the interactive group is a jukebox, and the currently playing musical sequence is from that same jukebox.  In this case, the trigger will be ignored.

We use a jukebox with two triggers, only one sequence under each trigger. The firemen push the red button to stop the show, play a PSA, and avoid distracted drivers when they leave the station on an emergency call. The push the yellow button for non emergency departure, which really behaves the same, just with a different PSA.

I know from experience that if one of those buttons gets stuck, the PSA just loops over and over.

I would think a jukebox with a inclement weather announcement as an empty musical sequence should do exactly what you want.

Success!  Thanks to everyone for the help!  Here is what I ended up doing:  I upgraded S3 to 3.10.14, created my rain delay sequence as a musical sequence with a blank mp3 file and used the jukebox option.  With my regular show running I poured some water onto the rain sensor, the sequence that was playing immediately stopped and the rain delay sequence came right on - exactly what I wanted.  I did try the soundboard option after updating S3 but the rain delay sequence kept staring over every 5 seconds with the water continuously sending a trigger (I never tested it with more than one sequence in the soundboard option).  Next year I will replace the blank mp3 file with a voiceover and hopefully not have to reset any GFCI's because of rain.