Light-O-Rama Forums

new to the LOR with a few simple starter questions.

Dornier

Hi everyone, 

I know the newb questions get old, but please bear with me.   

First, I've downloaded every pdf from the site, and I've got a 10 hour airplane flight to spend reading it all.  That being said I have a few immediate questions:

1. DC or AC controllers:  when?  why?

2. DMX or LOR?  If I'm starting from scratch, would LOR be sufficient?  Seems like work to making two systems mix if you don't need to.

3. Power.  Recommendations?   I've decided last year I would have to put a sub-panel and a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my front yard for this (I'm also tired of running cables--outlets around the property 'would' be more convenient).

4. stand-alone or PC  controlled?   I plan on using the FM transmitter as well.  Does all this task the PC?

5. LED or incandescent?

I guess that's about it for starters.  I figure 12 months is enough time to put this together.  I'm sure I'll be adding to it over time.   Thanks for being patient.

1. DC or AC controllers:  when?  why? Depends on what you're planning on controlling. If you're controlling normal outdoor Christmas lights, AC units are what you'll want.

2. DMX or LOR?  If I'm starting from scratch, would LOR be sufficient?  Seems like work to making two systems mix if you don't need to. This is my first year and I've got a mix of both LOR and DMX running. LOR software will produce DMX output to control DMX fixtures, you just need a seperate dongle for the DMX network. Personally if you're on the techy side like me, making both work in the first year isn't all the big a challenge. Almost everything I do going forward will be DMX based RGB nodes, just way more flexibility, but it is nice to have some traditional elements in your show too.

3. Power.  Recommendations?   I've decided last year I would have to put a sub-panel and a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my front yard for this (I'm also tired of running cables--outlets around the property 'would' be more convenient). My entire setup this year is connect to a single 15A 120v circuit. I put a new sub-panel in this year, but that was more because I was running out of room in my main panel and had a bunch of outdoor circuits I wanted to add, not necessarily all for my Christmas display. How much power you need for your display will depend entirely on how much you plan to include in your show. Your last question also plays in to this, LED significantly reduces the overall electrical demands.

4. stand-alone or PC  controlled?   I plan on using the FM transmitter as well.  Does all this task the PC? My entire show (3 LOR controllers and 1 DMX universe) is run from a 5 year old entry level Dell laptop that I had laying around. It's running the LOR network and the DMX network and is connected a FM transmitter and I've had zero issues with it this year.

5. LED or incandescent? LED, don't even think about incandescent for regular string lights. Little higher initial cost but will pay for itself in reduced power costs and you won't need nearly as many circuits so there's savings there too.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers

Its been said may times, many ways. Merry Christmas and do not get the whole house transmitter. You'll be sorry and shoot your eye out.

Ok kidding aside. Stay the hell away from the WHT. Only one in thousand are happy with them. the other 999 wish they had listened or came here first to either read sage advice or asked for the same.

Hi everyone, 

I know the newb questions get old, but please bear with me.   

First, I've downloaded every pdf from the site, and I've got a 10 hour airplane flight to spend reading it all.  That being said I have a few immediate questions:

1. DC or AC controllers:  when?  why? LOR because thats what I use. They have an awesome support network and warrantee.

2. DMX or LOR?  If I'm starting from scratch, would LOR be sufficient?  Seems like work to making two systems mix if you don't need to. Don't know anything about DMX.

3. Power.  Recommendations?   I've decided last year I would have to put a sub-panel and a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my front yard for this (I'm also tired of running cables--outlets around the property 'would' be more convenient). I use 3 circuits but I think the display would run off of one. I have 25,000 or so lights which are over 95% LED.

4. stand-alone or PC  controlled?   I plan on using the FM transmitter as well.  Does all this task the PC? I use a PC, I like the control it gives. I can make a change and put in the show without leaving my chair.

5. LED or incandescent? LED

I guess that's about it for starters.  I figure 12 months is enough time to put this together.  You really have less then 11 months. 11 months from now I should have everything up and tested.