Light-O-Rama Forums

Measuring traffic/ visitors?

lowepg

Might sound like a dumb question, but I've seen a number of folks share the number of visitors they had in a season...

How?

Guessing? Video cameras? Peering out the window all night? :-)

Where people sit for me it's usually tough to tell. I usually have a few cars sitting out there watching when I look out. But it's not really about the numbers for me.

Not into sitting out front watching and counting cars...not planning on getting a camera outside so I can count the cars. My show runs from 6:00 to 10:00 everynight and I think I have plenty of other things to do with my time than count cars. I think I may be a bit concerned if there was no one out there watching. But thats not happening anytime soon.....

Not into sitting out front watching and counting cars...not planning on getting a camera outside so I can count the cars.

Thanks. But I was asking for those people who *DO* report a visti count- how they do it. ;)

I believe the answer is either guessing or BS'ing.

I could make a guess given certain variables: 

number of vehicles in sight all evening long: about 20

times the average # of occupants: 3.5

times how long each vehicle stays: about 30 minutes = two turnovers per hour. (30 minutes is the length of my shows during the peak season - and YES - almost everyone watches it all.)

times how many hours the lights are on: 4.5

Let's see: 20 x 3.5 x 2 x 4.5  would render 630 people per evening. 

That sounds low, so lets bump it up by 50%, which brings it to 945 per evening.  There, that sounds better...

Now for vehicles:  that would be 40 x 4.5 = 180.  But since I bumped up the other by 50%, then I have to do the same with this one, so that makes it 270 vehicles per evening.

See how easy it is?  You tell me - educated guess or BS?

And does it really matter?

(That sounds lowhow many people per evening.  (Looks like around .5  (some stay only 20 minutes, others for an hour cars in sight almost all night, times the average # of occupants,

Please ignore the above line of gibberish.  Edit would be nice.  Maybe some day LOR will decide we're not idiot children.