Light-O-Rama Forums

This is why SuperStar exists...

caffeine

https://vimeo.com/82496637

It's not the best sequence in the world, certainly not the best display or video in the world, but having only built my mega tree about 4 weeks ago, my arches 2 weeks ago and only looking at SuperStar for the first time around the same time I'm posting it to show that with S/S you can have something half-decent up and running very quickly.

Don't get me wrong, a 5 1/2 minute sequence with no repeats for copy/paste was never going to 'simple' but it would have been nigh on impossible in the timeframe without S/S.

Still not convinced about the licensing methodology (I would prefer to pay for features rather than arbitrary export quantities, as I like to feel I am rewarding the time and effort of development, not based on how much I use it) but I do really appreciate the software.

I'm compiling a list of my suggestions for future releases after year 1 of 'playing', although a large amount of them I will develop myself as an overlay if necessary (I figure I can programmatically generate xml's for complex design).

Keep up the great work!

Wow, I'm impressed! You have professionally combined scenes, morphs, images, text, and smooth effects into a well done sequence. You use equal portions of all kinds of effects to keep the sequence lively and interesting.

I am curious, what is the size of the exported sequence? Smooth effects tend to make large exported files, and with the song being 5 1/2 minutes long the file is probably quite large.

Around 250MB Brian from memory, for the tree that is.  Another couple for the arches.

Luckily it's controlling an e1.31 network so it doesn't seem to suffer too much. 

I admit it was during this one, my fourth sequence in S/S, that I twigged to the layering of effects which made things a LOT better (the shockwaves, spirals or morphs running with scenes pumping, or the vertical and horizontal morphs pulsing. 

Getting a bit more confident and creative with each one, so looking forward to having a whole year to play.  I've got some plans for utilising the in-built functionality in 'macro' kind of way by generating effects externally and embedding the xml.  Things like animations/picture imports and multi-morph generation for specific things.  If I get them up and running I'll share them with you and the community.  These range from little things (canvas size for pictures larger than the actual display to allow movement) to somewhat larger and more complicated patterns.

If you can only fix one thing this year, please for my sanity let it be what ctrl-z does when creating an image.... so automatic to use when you click on an incorrect pixel and poof, 10 minutes gone...

You learned to do that in 4 weeks? OMG! I've bought my license for S/S and have a 12CCR tree as well but for this year I just ran purchased sequences on mine. Over the " off season " I plan to learn how to use S/S to it's full capability as well. Did you create the mashup as well? That's awesome! I would have never thought of that! If in the future you decide to sell or share that sequence please put me at the front of the line, that's amazing!

Looks good caffeine for only working with the Superstar Sequencer for 4 weeks. I do not have a ccr tree but a 12 ccr matrix & I too am having fun learning this software with any help watching videos. I figured out how to get legs to walk across the Matrix, Piano playing, guitar playing & so on.

Keep up the good work.

I've had a couple of people ask if I would share or sell this sequence.

To be honest I'm thinking next year if I actually invest the time into it I might make a couple of sequences for sale, however this was a hack and I couldn't charge for it.

There's also pieces of it that aren't done in the most efficient fashion.

In any event, merry Christmas to all it is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79785888/Medley.sup

Note: my setup is non-standard.  I have 14 strings of 50 lights rather than the normal 12 CCR's.  As such you'll probably need to do some 'playing' to get it to work.  If anyone does feel free to be kind and put up a 12 string version.

There is also a 4x25 arch that matches it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79785888/MedleyArch.sup

If you need the music send me a message....

Have fun!!!

Great job. After watching them my wife is now completely on board with me doing a pixel tree for next year. Other projects are ahead of it so it's likely a few years away, but thanks for the help selling it to her  :D

Great job. After watching them my wife is now completely on board with me doing a pixel tree for next year. Other projects are ahead of it so it's likely a few years away, but thanks for the help selling it to her  :D

My wife is also, but the bad part is she will expect a sequence that looks like the videos i show her.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your sequence.  It has been a great learning tool for me.  It is much easier for me to learn how to do different effects if I can see how they were done instead of reading how to do them.  As I kept playing it and stopping and  clicking on the different effects the light bulb soon started turning on.  After playing with your sequence awhile I did a sequence to a song I had wanted to add this year and for the first time was pretty happy with the results.  So again thanks for sharing your sequence and Merry Christmas.  

overeasy, Mind if we take a look at it? I like to see what others are doing with SS. I will be head deep in about 5 days with SS and LOR.

Jeff

Don't have the confidence to post any of my work.  But what I did do was take the file that Caffeine was nice enough to share and tried to rework some of the effects he did  for a 12 CCR tree.  If you want you can open the file and as it plays you will see some of the effects.  By stopping it and clicking on the different things you can see  how effects were created.  You can also copy and past those effects into your clip board and name them something you will remember so you can  you can copy and paste them into your songs just needing to make minor adjustments with them on the timing.  There is one effect that reminded me of railroad tracks so that is what it is in my clipboard.  I hope it can help some out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejljlmbu08sywxq/Clipboard%20Files.sup

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see what the SS does. I will be getting it this year but i will not be working with any CCR's,, just 32 strings of LED lights and My wife is getting here Holiday Coro signing trees.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone do a sequence that matches this tree yet. If you are willing to share it please let me know. My email is big.trafficman@gmail.com

Thanks, 

Jeff

I have been working on this for this coming season. My first version of the sequence was 1.3 gig. Playback through the sequence editor was not very smooth. Have split it up into 2 smaller songs to see how that does. You are right Brian, the smooth effects do create a very large sequence size.