Light-O-Rama Forums

You're coming home or leaving your house...

wbaker4

Of course now, my neighbor is using my old Mr. Christmas and I can't believe they got this wireless monstrosity todon't trol it's modules 3 and 4 houses away, could be because they mounted it on the roof of the home that is across the vacant lot from mine, but they have that thing cranked and 3 houses being controlled by it.    Supposed to be a max. of 100' from box to control modules, but it's actually sending the signal at least 350+ feet to the house directly across from me.   Was really surprised that got it to go that far!

But it does interfere with folks trying to listen to my display because it's so loud it drowns out my outdoor speakers {controlled by a radio set to the freq. from my FM transmitter}, but the Mr. Christmas box is driving folks away from being able to enjoy my display set up, as little as it is this year.

I am seeing a trend here... First you have a guy drowning out you display with Latin music, and now a guy using his Mr. Christmas to accomplish the same thing. Maybe they don't like your song choices.

I am seeing a trend here... First you have a guy drowning out you display with Latin music, and now a guy using his Mr. Christmas to accomplish the same thing. Maybe they don't like your song choices.

They love the music just fine.  I have outdoor speakers as well and they are always asking me to "crank it up".

They actually came over and apologized, they didn't realize how the two were fighting each other until two of my neighbors {and they ARE the ones connected to the Mr. Christmas} tried to show my light display to some of their friends tonight.  So they got on the roof and turned the Mr. Christmas down.  They never thought about it interfering with anyone watching my display.

And why would they want to connect into MY display and the LOR controllers if they didn't like the music?   That just wouldn't make any sense now would it?   Of course not.

They just didn't think it was loud enough to interfere with someone watching and listening in their vehicles.  But they found out tonight it was, and they cranked it down considerably.

Like I said before, I do have some fantastic neighbors, sometimes they don't realize something until either they find it out or one of the other neighbors tells them about it.

I'm the type that I just don't say anything and let them have their fun, as well as me having mine.   It's why we all get along so well in my community!

It's funny you mentioned them George. We took a trip up north for a vacation this month and on the way back to Florida we stopped in Sevierville, TN, and Myrtle Beach, SC to visit the Shadrack drive thru Christmas light shows, and at both of them, there is a sign at the start to dim your lights, plus the entrance people said to put on your parking lights only, and at both shows there were the headlight morons oblivious to the fact that others couldn't see because of their stupidity. Made you want to get out of the car and smash their headlights (like John Belushi with the guitar in Animal House), and then shrug and say "sorry".

May not have been their headlamps, if they have DRL's they only turn off when you set the parking brake, and you sure can't drive with the parking brake set, not unless you want to set a smoke screen and a nice horrendous smell to the folks driving behind you.  So in that case, you're stuck with those white lights being on with no real way to turn them off.

And not many folks are going to rewire an additional switch to their DRL's to turn them off either.   Although I think the vehicle manufacturers SHOULD include such a switch for times when they need to be turned off, like in cases like this one.   But I guess that would be just too easy, right?

Orville,  I hear that it only takes one or two clicks of the park brake to get the lights off. Hardly depressed enough to engage the brakes. Sure will take out some of the slack, but thats about it.

Orville,  I hear that it only takes one or two clicks of the park brake to get the lights off. Hardly depressed enough to engage the brakes. Sure will take out some of the slack, but thats about it.

That may or may not be true.  

On my 1997 GMC Jimmy I have, the DRL's won't turn off on just a few clicks.   One or two clicks, they are still lit.

Before mine will go out, my parking brake has to be almost to the half way point, and I tried driving the car like that once {because I forgot to take the brake completely off} and you could smell the brakes burning, and definitely not a pleasant smell either.  Kept wondering why the car was so sluggish! LOL

Interesting site surfing, seeing my particular vehicle is not among the listed though, different years, but not mine, will have to check the fuse panel and see if I can add a switch as I do not want to permanently disable them, but would prefer a way to turn them off, nor do I want to disable the parking brake light in the dash, otherwise, when my wife {and I've done it on occasion} drives the vehicle, if the park brake light is off, we'll think the brake isn't set {if I jumper the switch on the parking brake itself, providing I can get to it easily}, so I'd rather do it behind the fuse wiring and just add a simple toggle switch for that option.

So thanks for posting the link to that site, gave me some ideas where to at least start looking to add in an on/off option for the DRL's on my '97 Jimmy SLT!

• The topic was locked