Light-O-Rama Forums

2013 - VIDEOS of MY SPIRAL TREES

EARLE W. TALLEY

Great choreography of lights with music. Shows you don't have to have all the lights going all the time. Something I am still learning.

Those trees are really great!  Very nice efect!  How did you set up those trees?  I'm guessing you spiral the strands up and each strand is on its own channel?  What is the framework the strands are attached to?  What about the stars on top?  I would guess three or four stars shapes sequenced in a chase to get the rotating effect?

Your guessing is correct on the lights and stars, but only 3 stars in each. The frame work is steel cable with turnbuckles that is so tight that I can play a tune on them.

I must ask.  How many hours does it take to assemble these?  I have 4 regular mega trees and I have a love hate relationship with them, especially the 23' with 108+ strings.  I love them while they are up, but I hate setting them up.

I enjoy putting up my trees because I KEEP IT SIMPLE, some make their trees with items that make more work for themselfs. Mine are made with EMT for the poles, steel cable, rebar stakes, hook head, the large tree is a ROHN tower and all else is the same. I just set the poles, drive the stakes, string the cables (tight), string the lights. Here are some pictures.

Sorry I didn't answer your question, it takes about 2 hours for the small trees and about 6 hours for the large tree. I put the trees up by myself this year using a different way on the big tree and cut my time down.

Hi Earl. The more I watch these the more I want one next year. How many channels and strings do you use for the trees. I'm coming over to the US on the 26th so hoping to pick up so sale items. Also how do you do the rotating stars they are so good.

Tony

How many zip ties?   :D   I think I used 1600 on my MegaTree alone this year and never wanted to see another zip tie for as long as I live after finishing it.

The trees are awesome, but I really like the raised light bar you have along the sidewalk.  That looks really neat.  Rebar posts with flexible EMT conduit?

Tony, the small trees have 16 strings of lights and use 16 channels + 3 channels for the star.

The large tree has 64 strings and use 64 channels + 3 for the star. Here is a picture of the star.

Earl. Thanks that's a lot of channels on the 16 channel trees is it 8 wrapped each way and if so what height are they and how long are the strings. I can see me asking you a few questions when I start building later in the year.

Thanks Tony