Light-O-Rama Forums

Sooooooo..... let's see what the media does!

funkymzk

Here's the news clip from our holiday display.

Overall I think they painted it in a favorable light, other than seriously capturing my inner geek.

What it will do to the traffic? We'll that's a whole other question.

There was a debate into whether media coverage was good or bad. I guess I'm about to find out!

http://www.wsls.com/story/24168084/roanoke-christmas-display-draws-big-crowds

Roanoke.com - They featured us on the home page Saturday for our local holiday light contest.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/swoco/2013/12/holiday-lights-video-of-the-dance-party-lights-on-longhorn-road/

Happy Holidays everyone!

At 6:01pm they descended upon the neighborhood like a flock of locusts! I expected an increase but that was insane. This weekend should be interesting!

So for generating traffic - media good. For overtaking the neighborhood - media bad!

Everyone kept the middle of the street clear and didn't block anyones driveway, so maybe the website helps.

No one is staying in their car either. They're taking this dance party thing too seriously ;)

So far all the neighbors have congratulated us for making our street famous. We'll see is they still feel the same Friday and Saturday!

Too funny.

As for the "why we do this?" at just a little after six a minivan full, and I mean full, of little girls showed up singing to "what does the fox say" full tilt. Made me smile. That's why I do it!

The kids just crack me up!

Thanks Randy. I just finished watching yours. Pretty awesome. Glad I moved to RGB too. Wasn't too sure at first.

I guess it's time to finish pixels now!

So far the publicity has been cool. We shall see though!

Have a Great Holiday!

I am not looking forward to attempting pixels.  Our friend Calvin tried it this year, unsuccessfully.  I'm going to propose waiting a while.  

But I do love me some RGB Dumb strips.

I actually have the stuff and have been playing with it this past year. I figured I'd be rushing it this year with everything else that I did. So I would rather take another year and do it right.

They're not to bad to work with actually, but programming is time consuming. It was the programming that ultimately led me to waiting another year.

I do love me some RGB dumb strips as well!

Thanks NV. I did another despicable me short last night for this weekend. The one in the kitchen where Gru says you will not touch anything. You will not laugh or cry or giggle or sneeze or barf or fart! So no, no, no annoying noises. LOL. The minions have been pretty popular! Have a great holiday!

Hey Tim!

We're now averaging around 200-250 cars between 6:00 and 9:30. My daughter counted them Monday night. She's a people watcher! Last night was actually more traffic than Monday. We were getting about 30-40 a night before the story aired. That's weekday. It's this weekend I'm worried about! A select handful of people do stay for the whole 25 minute show, but most catch a song or two and than leave. I had to put that stupid fox song in twice to keep them moving along. LOL! I suspect after this weekend it will die down quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

So here's an update for Christmas Eve:

After we first aired we got a lot of traffic the very first night. Thinking that was the worst of it was my first mistake. It just kept getting bigger and bigger as the week went on. This past weekend was the busiest, I lost count honestly. People waiting 40-50 minutes to see the show, with cars backed up WAY out of our neighborhood. The same held for yesterday and today. I've seen some of the neighbors and so far everyone's still ok with it. We can all enjoy people watching, and no one has to go anywhere! Anyway, this was no doubt due to the media. All in all, I've faired pretty well. Roanoke's not a small place, but I would agree that if you live in a big market, this could get you in trouble pretty quickly. It was overwhelming for our street, but somehow in the end it all worked out! I'm running my show until Jan 5th. It should start dying down soon me thinks....

Merry Christmas!!!

The funny thing is, once people find you, they'll be coming back every year, regardless of if you continue to do media exposure or not.  Glad your neighbors are cool with it - enjoy your popularity!  :)

Merry Christmas!

Good for you Funky! 

We had the opposite outcome.. too much traffic.. one bad neighbor.. future of the show is in doubt. 

Glad yours worked out. 

after great Christmas light fight and local newspaper and radio interviews, our traffic had increased so much, but our local pd made our street one way, which has really got it in order.

people have been waiting a half hour or so on the big nights... but our donations have been amazing. we went from 1000 total last year, to doing that in two nights

We've been watching the great Christmas light fight too! I'm sure that's helping with the popularity of this hobby. I think our website helped. Most people stayed to one side of the street and didn't block anyone living in the neighborhood. That was a plus. You do still have the occasional "winner" though. You know what I mean! LOL

What happened with you plasmadrive that made it go south?

We had the local PD doing traffic the weekend before Christmas as well smallcrpt. They actually came down to the house to watch after it finally died down, and we're really cool about helping out.

When they first pulled up I was like "Oh Cr*p" here we go...

• The topic was locked