Light-O-Rama Forums

Dealing with Traffic

need lights

So this is only my third year and traffic has not been an issue. Always just a few cars at a time and maybe 6 to 9 right near Christmas. This year i already see 6 to 10 cars at a time now and it got me thinking if the ratio is the same as last year, that would mean a line of cars beyond the end of my street near Christmas, if people really felt like waiting in a line that is. So I would love to know what others do about traffic situations, or do you just let it be? There isnt too much info about traffic on the forums that I could find. I dont have the kind of time to go out there every night to direct traffic either. I only have 48 channels so it is not worthy of a mile back up or anything. Just curious what everyone does. Thanks in advance.

If it gets too bad, get a barricade and put it at the start of the street with "Road Closed to through traffic"  Only LOCAL RESIDENTS ONLY. :ph34r:

That should turn them around and keep them out for awhile. ;)

We have always kept the song / sequence loop short. Repeat after 3 or 4 short songs and 2 commercials from the Demented Elf. Keeping songs short to < two minutes always helps. Two years ago when we were posted on MSNBC our traffic shot way up, and I contacted the local PD asking for advice.  The officer said, "We are very familiar with your house and we watch the traffic, but we have never seen a problem, you have the timing short and that helps". 

Even when the busses and limos come by things seem to work out fine.  The Demented Elf commercials really help with getting the word out to be courteous. 

If you have lots of songs, chage them out every day.  Set 4 songs up for today, and a different loop for tomorrow, and so forth and so on.  Folks will enjoy your show and come back again for a different show next week.

Most of all - have fun. :)

Friday and Last night so far were our biggest nights...  None stop flow both nights.. street filled from about 6pm to 10pm shut down.  Sure hate when the show shuts down with a street full of cars.. and more filing in.. but we have to respect our neighbors..  Hope they will find their way back again before the 1st..

I went out with my family several times hauling my job site radio out so we could watch.. every time this happened others got out of their cars and came to stand by us and watch.. It was awesome.. Love talking to those I have never met before.. 

People seem to be very friendly in my area.

Since I started broadcasting for them to leave the cigarette butts and trash in their cars, I no longer have to police the roadway the next morning.

If it gets too bad, get a barricade and put it at the start of the street with "Road Closed to through traffic"  Only LOCAL RESIDENTS ONLY. :ph34r:

That should turn them around and keep them out for awhile. ;)

I didn't realize you were a city official with the power to close roads.

• The topic was locked