Light-O-Rama Forums

Question for EDM FM Transmitter Users who also transmit RDS

scottam67

Is there anyone else on the forums experiencing issues with their FM broadcast when using the RDS feature on EDM transmitters so equipped?  Per the instructions, each of my sequences uses a Windows Command to copy text to a file that is read by the mini RDS software.  At the start of each of my songs, there is a 1 to 2 second "buzz" that occurs at the very beginning.  I experienced this all of last year, and thought it may be related to a poor signal or poor audio file, but when played on the PC, it sounds fine.  After thinking about it for a while, I figured it had to be the mini RDS software, updating the transmitter with the appropriate artist and song info each time a sequence played.  Sure enough, if I disconnect the transmitter from the computer, no buzz.  

You can hear it at the very beginning of the video at the link below, or any of the 2012 videos on YouTube.

After investing in a RDS unit, I'd like to use the feature, but the buzz is rather annoying.  

Well, I personally can't remember any buzz I've ever caught as being annoying... but I digress...

I can't help you with the RDS Scott, but if you've got people sitting in front of your house looking at their radio instead of the lights, we need to take a closer look at how your tunes are sequenced. Just saying...  :D

I can't tell you this will solve "your" issue, but I had a buzz when my EDS & RDS was transmitting.  I need to put a ferrite coil about 6 inches away from the plug on the DC power cord itself to solve the issue.

I don't know if this has anything to do with RDS.  But it did resolve my particular issue.

George - my concern is that the music won't match the level of your sequencing ;)

You start the season fuxing the big issues and work your way down the list. I am fortunate to only be dealing with this, based on reading what others have gone through thus far. Fortunately no fires.

Thanks iflights. You may be on to something. I will give it a shot.

Thanks