Light-O-Rama Forums

Dimming Curves / Firmware

LORi P

In the help for Dimming Curves it says:

Dimming Curves

The Hardware Utility's Advanced Configuration screen can be used to set dimming curves for Gen3 controllers, or for pre-Gen3 controllers that have Gen3 firmware installed.  To get to the Advanced Configuration screen, click on the Advanced Configuration button in the Configuration section of the LOR Control tab of the Hardware Utility.

On the firmware updates page of the website:

http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

How do I tell which firmware version is Gen-3 firmware, but for Gen-2 controllers.  It is not obvious to me.  Is

Generation 3 residential 16 channel controller. Latest firmware. CTB16PG3-V1.07 firmware

firmware for BOTH Gen-2 and Gen-3 hardware controllers.

Thanks for your help.

Lori

I may be incorrect, but I don't think any of the latest firmware for G3 controllers will work with pre-Gen 3 controllers.      If yuo download it and try it, the controller would probably reject it saying something to the effect: "firmware is incorrect or not for this controller" and won't install.

Gen 2 {V2} boards latest firmware as far as I am aware is 4.40, anything above that I don't think, again, I could be incorrect, but don't thibk any firmware above 4.40 for CTB16PC controllers or 4.20 for the DC-MP3 Showtime Directors, as the G3 MP3 Directors are listed as G3-MP3, older unit is DC-MP3.

So I don't think any of the newer firmware downloads will work in older CTB16PC's.   And I'm not even certain that V2 and G2 are interhangable.   

Would be nice if in the firmware descriptors there was a little more info to end this type of confusion adn to know whether or not to download said firmware, instead of download it, then find out it doesn't work for the particular controller{s} you have.

I cut and pasted this directly from the LOR on-line help:

Dimming Curves

The Hardware Utility's Advanced Configuration screen can be used to set dimming curves for Gen3 controllers, or for pre-Gen3 controllers that have Gen3 firmware installed.  To get to the Advanced Configuration screen, click on the Advanced Configuration button in the Configuration section of the LOR Control tab of the Hardware Utility

Seems to me then 'Gen2' controllers are 'pre-Gen3', so according to LOR's own manual, it says you can do dimming curves with a Gen2 controller.  I just need to figure out how to determine the correct firmware to install.

You can't install dimming curves on Gen-2.  They don't have the same processor and they don't have the memory or horsepower to add curves. 

Sorry, but no matter what that manual says.. it ain't so for G2.. that according to LOR tech support.. Been there, done that.. no T-shirt available..

There must be some type of Pre-Gen3 that was after Gen 2... because you can't install Gen 3 firmware into a Gen 2 controller.... according to LOR tech support..

BTW, where did you see that?  I can't find it anywhere.. I wanted to look at the context of the statement.

There was intent to develop dimming curves for older hardware, but the last update I saw indicated that there was not enough resources in the older versions to pull it off.

I keep hoping they find a more efficient way to code it, or offer a plugin module to replace the existing micro controller. But I have not seen anything indicating that they are working on either one.

I found it here, in the help for software version 3.10.14:

Help -> Contents -> Hardware Utility -> Configuring Units ->  Light-O-Rama Controllers -> Dimming Curves

Wow. you really had to drill down to find that one.. :blink:  

The problem is that you can't install the Gen 3 firmware on a G2 board... There in lies the rub.