Light-O-Rama Forums

commercial VS. residential LED's

bhunt240

iv been doing a lot of thinking about next years display and being after Christmas sales will be coming i want to try to figure out if theres any truth to this video?? i agree that my phillips (target) C9 leds on the roof dont seem as bright as my windows, fire sticks and mini trees.... but is it really that big of a difference or is it just light spacing differences?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiAV5ZbeoMY&list=FLk2YwrV--jvvzUfDntgZGMw&index=4

Probably all commercial lights are full wave rectified. Most, if not all, retail lights are half wave. Yes, there is indeed a big difference in brightness between the two.

Commercial products are also sealed - another huge benefit.

With C9s a lot depends on how many LEDs are in the bulb. The more the better, obviously.

Thanks guys all the info I needed :)

We got a good dose of ice and a dry snow here in ky and made the light show look even better! Looking forward to next year with 4 arches, red green and blue leds, and the fire sticks hooked up properly instead of just being all on or all off!!

I made the same jump this year, but bought C9 LED replacement bulbs and not fixed lighting.  The main reason is that I wanted a red/green pattern but could also change next year if I wanted to.

Question for you. What was your mounting technique for the ridgeline?

I have approx. 5,000 commercial lights on the two tree's in my front yard and they out shine everything else on my house. Next year I will be purchasing additional commercial lights and using all of my residential lights for props. If you are interested in pic's to see the difference I can share.

I have approx. 5,000 commercial lights on the two tree's in my front yard and they out shine everything else on my house. Next year I will be purchasing additional commercial lights and using all of my residential lights for props. If you are interested in pic's to see the difference I can share.

Id like to see the pictures! Although I know im going commercial next year just enjoy seeing the differences

Question for you. What was your mounting technique for the ridgeline?

That isnt my house in the video but the way we did mine although not lit this year we went ahead and got it rigged for next year's display

We did 10' sections of 1/2" Conduit pvc with spring type clamps permanently mounted