Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller shut down

Gizmoediddly

New to posts and forum.

Need your thoughts on powering down 15 controllers.

After the show each night, will it damage the controllers to just turn them all off by the main circuit breaker and then back on the next day instead of unlocking and using the switch on each controller? The PC will already be powered down and removed from the system.

Thanks for your help and thoughts in advance.

No it will not hurt the controllers, i power mine down every night thru a central timer and have never had an issue with the controllers

There is really no need to power down the controllers at all.  I think most of us just leave them powered throughout the season. 

• Like 1

Mine were powered up, but the ice storm has done mine in. It was able to function earlier today when I tested it. There was ice all over everything, then snow on top of that, but tonight, the whole thing died on me. I unplugged it till tomorrow and hope I can figure it out then.

I power all mine up before thanksgiving and don't power them down until take down. It doesn't hurt them to stay powered up so why bother?

• Like 1

Mine stay powered 365/24/7 as I, as do some others here, use them for lighting areas, such as garden, pond or pathway lights in the off season.

It appears my failure is a GFCI that's having issues with nothing plugged into it. I'll figure that out today but late last night, checked and verified there was nothing wrong with my controllers. The affected GFCI is an "in-line" type, inside of the garage and its output feeds four sockets. It won't reset. I know for a fact, the wiring was correct as I'm well versed in electrical, so I'm thinking it just failed. I'll pull it all apart today and find out for sure....who knows, maybe I had a brain fart. Although to be fair, its been just fine for weeks, then last night its reporting the hot and ground are reversed which are not possible(when nothing is plugged in) unless this GFCI has issues.

This is my second year. For those of us living where Ice is possible, do you cover your controllers with plastic bags or anything else to protect them?

.....I know for a fact....... I'm well versed in electrical.......

Oh really??? and what key do you sing it in?  :P

Turns out, it wasn't the GFCI afterall. It was instead, the return line to the GFCI that popped out of a wire-nut. Weird how the indications were but no problem, its working normally once again. Now if I could just get rid of all the ice out there on everything and learn my "verses" better!