Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Kit

chrisuk

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at buying some LOR kit, I've used similar stuff before.

Can you please advise what type of kit i'd need.

I'd be looking at running plenty of channels :) and would also like to use RGB lighting.

Thanks

Chris

Most of the controllers are 16 channels, 30 amps, 15 per side and a max of 8 amps per channel. What type of lights?  Hope you are planning for next year cause it is really late to try and start a display this year. Don't forget a few thousand feet of cords to make it all work.  You might be able to get it done this year but without having any controllers, and shipping times, cutting it close.

Can you solder very well??  If so get the CTB16pc kit and solder away. You can buy sequences from LOR to use but you still have to adapt them to your display.  I started wiht 32 channels, 2 CTB16pc's and was happy, for the first year.  Also plan on wanting more and more each year, so break out the wallet.

Hope that helps you out.

Thanks for the reply, no I wouldn't be planning it for this year. I'm all a bit confused with all the amps, fuses etc.

I would like to get a couple of the cosmic colour ribbons and some strings of lights maybe some dumb rgb strips, what controller would I need to start with?

I'd be no good at the soldering. :-/

Thanks

Ok, there are the A.C. controllers which are good for everyday strings of lights. Be it the old minis or the new LED strings. You also asked about RGB. This comes in two basic flavors, the dumb string / strips that all in that string or strip all change to the same color. Now for that you can use one of the two models of D.C. controllers. LOR does not offer at this time a Smart RGB controller. For that you will need to get strips and controllers else where. But LOR does offer their own Smart RGB ribbons, strings that they call bulbs and flood lights.

My simplest advice is to read and read more. Kudos to realizing that you need to wait till next year.

welcome  to the fun light mayhem LOL

i'm just starting out as well this season 

i got me the basic + software kit a few months ago and been messing around with it and got a short show ready for Christmas

i'll be putting up the lights here once the rain stops and the temperature stabilizes a little 

our show will be small cause of the small pallet i have to work with which is fine 

we are at a new place this year

but ask your questions, there are great people here and you can find  other LOR users on FB that can help as well

so enjoy and have fun, i am lol

Chrisuk,

It might be helpful to you and others to get an idea of where you are located. Am I to think you might be in the UK? There are others here on this forum from the UK and they might be able to help you with issues that you will have in the UK that are different than most of us in the USA have. Example is that your power is 220V while we are 110. I believe that Christmas lights in the UK use a step down transformer before the lights. And so forth. So, please edit your profile and let us all know where abouts you might be hailing from.

Welcome to this fun hobby.  Glad you are starting to work on next years display and not this years.  This is a great forum to learn what you need and how to do it.  Think about what you what to accomplish, what type of lights to use (LEDs or incandescent), how many lights and controllers and cost.  Kit's are great if your good at soldering as cold joints can become your worst night mire.  Kits are fun to assemble but if you haven't assembled a electronics kit before, paying the extra dollars for an assembled and fully test product might be in your favor. 

Jim 

Thanks for the replies, yes I live in the uk - oxford.

I would deffo get the pre made controllers as I don't think i would be the best at building the controllers. I would like to be able to use rgb strips (dumb) and ccr maybe some led strings.

I've currently got some kit from syncrolight.co.uk but would like to get some LOR stuff.

With my syncro light the led strings are wired into a dc controller, with lor is it simply plug the socket into the sockets that spur off the controller?thanks

Chris

Well plugging in some strings of LEDs into what is better known as dongles (inline sockets on short cords that connect to the LOR controller, AC only). What you might need to do is buy a step down transformer from 220V to 110V. And then order some 110V LED strings like we yanks use. I have heard a few of you fellows over there have done this. Now this controller will operate on your 220 Volts. But be aware that the lights then have to be 220V also.