Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Getting Camera settings for video

Grinch

Hi everyone,  love to watch your videos and would love to share mine but I just can't seem to get the right setting.  Either to bright, to dark,  might appear blurry due to the light flashing, or the green lights look more like the white lights.   Any help or suggestions?  I have a Canon T2i

get a cheap polarized lens and adapt it to your camera, one time I got a cheap pair of polarized sunglasses took the lens out and adapted it to my video camera and the blur and wash out was gone

Manual settings are the key.  Manual focus, manual exposure, custom white balance. Also, a tripod is a must.

I am using a tripod

Any Idea where the ISO should be set?  I tried 800 and 3200, 6400 and didn't like the results

What F-stop?

I have not tried a custom white Balance setting,  I will have to read about that setting/change

I am not advanced with the camera but I will learn

Thanks for all the  help

Depending on the camera, you may be able to try a "fireworks" setting if you have one. It would be interesting to see if that would work.

I shot mine this year with my iphone 4. Used a tripod. Auto exposure and auto focus locked. Making sure the auto focus is locked is key. On an iphone pick a part of your house, hold down on the screen and you should see the AE/AF lock pop up. I've also been told to shoot at dusk so there is still some ambient light present. If you have a white balance setting, set it for incandescent, even if they are LED's. If the camera is constantly trying to auto focus it will keep blurring the video. We tried everything this year. Android tablets, camera's, HD camcorders. The tablet took the sharpest video but no color. The camera had lot's of color but too blurry. In the end the iphone won! LOL

One more thing, if you are shooting video's then have a small FM radio by the camera. That way you have an audio track to help you line up a better audio track for overdubbing. Most video editors have an option to increase audio gain. Increase it then you can line up the original wave with the new "better audio" one. We had a little bounce on our audio due to reverberation. Starting the good audio track just a few milliseconds before the one off the camera helped everything look more in sync. I use Premiere CS5 for editing. Having good audio will help you get more views because no one likes looking at pretty lights if the sound has an AM quality to it.

Thanks for the advice everyone,   I don't have fireworks setting.  I have tried all manual settings and things are getting better.  I think my last problem is the white balance....  The green looks more like the white.  I have started shooting right at 4:30 which is just a little early (still a little bit to much daylight)  I amour of town this week so I will try again this weekend

• The topic was locked