Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb RGB strands(not strips)?

JeffF

I'm a RGB boob and have Googled a bit but haven't found what I'm thinking of... so, have they made dumb RGB strands that looks like normal strands of lights yet?

I know I can get dumb RGB strips and I know I can get smart pixels but I'd like something that is a cross of those two.

Basically I'd like to replace the white, gold, and red incandescent lights on my wreaths next year and if I could get RGB "bulbs" I think it would have the same look... except I'd be able to do a lot more colors.  I'd also like to replace the strand of lights on a couple wire frames and strip lights just won't work.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

I've seen what you are looking at before, but they just aren't quite the same as regular lights.  Costco sells a Sylvania strand that you can switch between white and multi colored.  I would think the technology you are looking for can't be too far behind.  If you find something please post it.  I think there are many of us who would really like it.

Hey Jeff,

The eBay listing is for "pixels" , not "dumb rgb".

For my dumb rgb strands this year, I am using these:

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=65

They are available in both 5v and 12v.

I have 8 trees with 2 1/2 strands each and they look great.

Michael

Thanks for the info guys!

Hey Jeff,

The eBay listing is for "pixels" , not "dumb rgb".

For my dumb rgb strands this year, I am using these:

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=65

They are available in both 5v and 12v.

I have 8 trees with 2 1/2 strands each and they look great.

Michael

That's a really decent price. Wonder if they'll carry them again next year? I want to start small and convert a few things over to these. If all goes well I'll start my jump. ;)

Thanks again!

hey jeff,

I don't know if it would help or if it is what you are looking for but you can make dumb rgb strings of lights with regular leds. 

what you do is you take a string of red, green, and blue leds and you twist tie or zip tie the lights together and treat them in

the seq editor as if they are an rgb string.   

bth_2012christmas064_zpsd6ce0187.jpg

I have them tied to a pvc frame that is the 3 circle mickey shape that I have on my roof.

what you do is you create an rgb channel in the sequence editor and the software will treat it as if it was an rgb string.  you can do fades, on, off, twinkle, shimmer and any of the other effects and you can change the color anytime you want.  mine is a pretty good distance from where visitor view it so it looks

pretty good.  if its close up the colors aren't as distinctive as a strip would be mainly because the leds are as close as they would be sealed in a node or

a strip. 

you won't necessarily get the millions of colors but they can make some pretty neat effects and it cheaper than rgb and you don't need any additional

equipment to do it.   another cool effect that you can do is fade from 1 color to another.   it looks pretty cool to have it fade from red to purple to blue

to yellow and the fill button will color it in for you.  

my wife calls it my "hillbilly rgb" but it gets me some neat effects and I don't have to spend a lot of money to play with it first.

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/kellyjett/media/2012christmas002_zps3f6479ae.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0    this video is from last year

but it will give you an idea of what it looks like in a sequence.

just a helpful hint.  it is much easier to put together if your strings are spaced the same.  just makes putting the leds together a lot easier.

good luck and if you have any questions shoot me a pm. 

Did you ever get what you were wanting? I'm also interested in C9 RGB bulbs, but not the smart strands that LOR sells.  A dumb version to outline my roofline is all i'm looking for.