Light-O-Rama Forums

Back up your seq

dan martens

I just lost all my changes for Xmas when computer failed. Lights are up but not on because I kept saying ill back it up later

I could play my holloween stuff because I backed it up in four places but for some dumb reason I said I'll do it later

Back it up now and often

Just advise from a second year newbie

Agreed. Use Dropbox or MS Skydrive or some other cloud drive to back uop the sequences. 2 days prior to lights on, I accidentally deleted all of my work for the year. I won't go into details, but I will say this, If you're working in 2 different folders and need to delete something, make sure nothing is highlighted in your sequence folder. Thank goodness I decided to spend $9.99 per month for dropbox. Otherwise, I would have to tear everything back down. There was no possible way to re-build 5000 channels in about 7 or 8 days.

Here's how I do it. The sequences that I'm working on stay in my Dropbox folder all year. a week or so before the show, after setup is complete, I copy, NOT MOVE, everything over to the LOR folder. My LOR folder is empty until this time. I also, from time to time, burn everything to a DVD.

So to quote you Dan, for Newbies and Veterans alike, "Back it up now and often"

Ditto all that.  Most internet providers give you space on the server for web pages or pictures to whatever.   So you dont need to pay per month to have off site storage.  I do all my sequencing on one computer, FTP changes up to a host server, then on the show computer I download them.   So at least three locations to recover from. 

Another option is to email the sequence to yourself & a secondary email. I send them to my work email account.