Light-O-Rama Forums

Does Okc Metro area have anything like Sacramento

Papa6058

I keep reading where they meet at a pizza place and talk, ask, answer visit, share do we have anything like this? Would anyone be interested in meeting several times a year? Who all here is from the Okc Metro?

Papa

We do have a "mini" once a year around the spring time.

A time to show, show-off, share and learn.

I started it back in 2006 and has continued since (the past few years in Norman) at Greg's house.

Info will pop up after the beginning of the year.

As for a "several times a year" thing, not much that I know of. Folks get busy and such BUT as the crowd grows for Christmas display, maybe something can be put together for more visits during the off season.

I started the one in Sacramento; we meet monthly over Pizza and drinks.

We compare notes and help each other with concepts, programming and helping with construction problems.

An adventureous group, we have come up with displays and props we haven't seen anywhere else, not even at Disneyland.

It's laid back and fun to see what everyone else is doing, whether it's a 16 channel display or a 3500+ channel display.

We have had up to 12 people attend. Haven't had any vendors yet, but we'll see.

It's a lot of fun and has been very helpful to me (1st year). If nothing else it allows my family to believe I am not completely crazy and there are people who are also interested in the same things and that is OK. "Oh, you're going to a light meeting? ooh-kaaaay...".  

It has been a lot of fun in Sacramento.  Very informal.. but I think everyone that has come there has taken something helpful away with them. 

Ken, We have had one vendor.  Komby came once.. Brought some of his RF stuff..

Many of us have brought show and tell pieces and along with that some knowledge.  One of the meetings was the first time I every saw Coro up close.  Learned a lot about it from the guys that brought it.. cool stuff. 

Anyway, hope you guys can get something going like it in OK.   Don't get discourage if you don't get a lot of people at every one of the meetings.. we have had as little as 3 of us and still made for a good get together..

Anyway, hope you guys can get something going like it in OK.

We already do here in OK. Have been doin it every year since 2006.

We already do here in OK. Have been doin it every year since 2006.

Yes, I saw that.. you have a once a year mini..  Those are cool..   I think the OP was looking for more of a repeating meeting type of thing..   Either are good.. just what the local crowd will support I guess. 

Tom,

We might have a Sept/Oct Pizza Hut or somewhere like, that next year before people start setting up.  The Mini + Don + you sure helped me get started for my first year :D  and an informal setting just before we start setting up might help other newbies.

Tom,

We might have a Sept/Oct Pizza Hut or somewhere like, that next year before people start setting up.  The Mini + Don + you sure helped me get started for my first year :D  and an informal setting just before we start setting up might help other newbies.

That's a great idea!!!

It needs to be brought up at the mini in the spring and get the word out.

Actually, we could try something even after the holidays (like late January/February) to talk about our trials and errors while fresh in our minds and talk about new ideas.

Reoccurring events will happen as long as someone says, "Hey lets meet". Which can be anybody and to everybody on the list.

Another way to look at it: You only have 10 monthly meetings until the Next Big Show, Christmas 2014.

Only 10 chances to swap ideas, compare notes and help each other until it happens again.

Another way to look at it: You only have 10 monthly meetings until the Next Big Show, Christmas 2014.

Only 10 chances to swap ideas, compare notes and help each other until it happens again.

And 10 chances to share having a beer doing it. B)

So late January to show all our casts from the broken bones after slipping on the ice putting away this years lights.  The way things are going this winter, putting away things may be interesting.

I'm in for a January to talk about this years blinkie/flashie, April to plan next year and Sept to cover any last minute problems.

• The topic was locked