Light-O-Rama Forums

anchoring trees in yard

carsonsig

I made 4 trees last year, from 90% off 6 ft indoor plastics.  I know they will rust out eventually... but they look nice.  3 colors on each, multi, white and blue.

issue is anchoring.  they have an indoor 3 way click in plastic leg base...... besides sand bags... any genius ideas on anchoring these suckers into my landscape?

Big bender board anchors.... or pound in some concrete form pins (the metal stakes) and zip tie the base legs to them

I use 1/58 electric conduit pipe...$1.58 per 10ft section...cut up a few and zip tie your trees to them from the back. you will never see the conduit and the trees will be nice and sturdy

I live in a very windy spot at the to of a hill. Every year I am getting better at this.

The first year I used tent stakes that did not even last one night. Then I got threaded rod, pounded it into the very rocky ground here, having to move the tree locations slightly to find a place what I could get each rod into the ground 2-3 feet. I leave 3-4 feet of rod up the center of each tree. I would use a tie down on one or two of the ones that were the most exposed to the wind. That worked well enough for a couple of years.

Last year on a particularly windy day, I came home from work and found 8 or 9 of my 11 trees tipped over at various angles. The rods bent any where between 30 & 70 degrees. So I replaced all the bent rods and added a few more tie downs.

This year I set up on a day that had 25 mph winds with gusts to 45. So I used 3 or 4 tie downs on every tree. So far no casualties, and it has been a very windy season so far.

Im with 75redman.  I just punched 3' long rebar into the ground and slipped the tree shaft right over it.  I did this in 25-44mph gusty winds today and there set firm.

Had 65mph wind today, no issues. I also used 1/2" electrical conduit cut into 5' lengths. Drive about a foot in the ground and zip tie!