Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Feature Request

94-302-vert

I seem to do most of my sequencing by looking at the waveform, if there was a way to show the waveform for a certain frequency range (like after equalizing it) that would be very helpful for me at least...

How about doing a FFT analysis? Display frequency as Y, intensity as color, and a slider for minimum intesity to display? I would think that would make it real easy to locate the notes.

- Kevin

How about making me NOT colorblind so that when this new idea is implemented I 'll be able to see what the FFT you are speaking about.

:shock::cool::dude:;):?:shock:

OH, and tell me what an FFT analysis is anyway?

Gray scale would work as well, though not all monitors and lighting conditions give good results. Displaying 3D data on a 2D medium is always a challenge. Also, I don't think a FFT would be a replacement for the wave form, but rather an alternate complimentary view. Breaking the audio into suitable samples and running the FFT on each sample gives you a spectrum analysis for each sample.

X axis remains as time. Y axis becomes frequency, and Z (or shade of gray) is how much signal exists at that time in that frequency. One way to try and visualize it is take your graphic equaliser, tip it up on edge, and record it over time...

The big thing this buys you is that even if the total amplitude stays the same, the display will change with changes in the note played.

Of course, depending on how good the beat wizard is, there may not be much need for a feature like this...

- Kevin