Light-O-Rama Forums

Childproof Plug Covers?

aaronmunson

Hey all,

Just got all the lights set up and ready to go, however with the wet weather coming in tomorrow, and a few of my tri-plug non custom extension cords and light ends exposed to the elements and on the grass, etc, I was curious if putting childproof plug covers into the un-used plugs would work well, or if that would just trap any water that finds it's way in. I did a search and found awhile back and found that someone made the suggestion, but no feedback on whether it works well or not.

Yes, they help a lot, but there are two kinds.

One, a type with a "cup" over the plug area is NOT what you want.

The other, with a flat face, is what works best.

Also helps to put some First Aid tape over it, to keep it in place.

Been using the :"Flat" ones that plug into the female outlets for well over 3+ years now, they have kept water completely out of my female plugs and the female pass through plug at the beginning of the light strands.   I wouldn't ever put a light strand out without them.

Actually had one that ended up on the ground and in a puddle of water, it was completely submerged, stayed completely dry inside and the GFCI never tripped once!  And the show ran in a heavy Florida Thunderstorm, after the storm went out to check on things and that's when I found the one female end completely submerged in a puddle of water, I was surprised at how well the child proof outlet cover actually worked in keeping water and moisture out of the plugs, ever since, I've been sold on using them anytime I put any type of light strands outside!

Although I still try to keep the female ends pointing down whenever possible, and I still try to keep them off the ground when I can, sometimes you just have to let the cord{s} lie where it/they is/are.

I also paint the face of the outlet covers a flat black so they disappear in the dark, if left white {at least the ones I buy are always white}, they reflect the light badly as they are somewhat flourescent, so painting them flat black helps.    One can of flat black will paint around 400-500 covers.