Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM transmitter help!?!?

Mr. Detail

Having trouble with my EDM fm trainsmitter. The sound sounds like crap there is no base when I have it pluged into my laptop but when I use any other device it sounds fine!

Help help !!!

I turn on my lights tonight !

Ok

There r 2 dials in my transmitter I just got it today and it came with no manauel. What dial to turn?

Also i feel like it a issue with my laptop . The sound sounds JUST like the tiny laptop speakers

Not on the radio, on the computer. The most common cause of distorted audio on an FM transmitter is too much signal driving it.

It seams like I'm going to need a new sound card due to the laptop not being the greatest. Could this be? I'm about to go shopping for it soon unless someone tells me that's not it!

It seams like I'm going to need a new sound card due to the laptop not being the greatest. Could this be? I'm about to go shopping for it soon unless someone tells me that's not it!

What were the results when you turned down the Computer's volume control as Jim recommended above?

For those that might be having issues with poor quality sound from your PC, take a look at the Behringer UCA222 external USB sound card.  $30, powered by USB, no drivers, and it sounds better than any on board laptop sound card I have ever heard.  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA222/?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=audio&utm_term=behringer_uca222

Nice link Bob.

In 99% plus of the cases however the on board sound cards are not the issue when it comes to quality, depending on the chipsets used. Most laptops these days have great audio quality.

The limiting factor of quality tends to be the bit rate used to encode the audio by the user (ie mp3s at 128 and below).

Most tend to overdrive the audio under the mistaken notion their volume should be the same as commercial stations.

That is a bad approach, as commercial stations use compressors and other high end audio gear to achieve those output levels without distortion/over deviation.

Also some folks seem to think louder signals go farther. which is not the case with FM.Louder signals will over deviate the transmitter's output, and lead to spurs that can interfere with other electronic devices, which is not something folks will want to do, as that will lead to complaints from family/neighbors.

Greg

I agree that most internal sound cards are decent.  In many cases, especially with laptops, you are using a headphone jack for audio output, not a line out.  Many times the headphone output is the week link.  I offer the Behinger an inexpensive solution to failing sound cards or headphone jacks, but would also consider it for a replacement of on board audio in some cases.  For one, the line out from the UCA222 makes it more difficult to overdrive the audio into the transmitter.  I don't know if it's Behringer's background in signal processing or what, but the output of this ran straight to an EDM transmitter gives me more of a "radio station" sound than I ever got from a stock laptop sound card and headphone jack, or desktop for that matter.  I don't know if they are using compression/limitting or what.  It just sounds good for cheap.  I bought this to use as a sound card for a server (no on board sound) and was so impressed that I moved it over to a laptop that I had marginal results with on board sound running through a transmitter.  Played with all the sound settings, used several different attenuators, and still marginal sound.  Plugged the UCA222 into a USB port, conneted to the EDM with a RCA cable, and instantly had great transmitted sound.  No drivers, no power supplies, no hassle.

• Like 1