Light-O-Rama Forums

What happens when.

ericg2000

This is my first year using lor. I've been planning my christmas display for a few months and made all my props etc.

I heard there was another guy in town with lor but I have never seen his show. I stumbled on to his house last week because a saw his mega tree from the main road. I drove my and he has mini trees a mega tree and stars made out of dowell rods.

Of all the luck I have the same stars. Really it doesn't matter, but what do y'all do when you end up with similar props? I was waning to get more controllers and do a mega tree next year but I don't want to copy his. Do you feel it's copying or stealing ideas or does it eventually become a competition as to who can go bigger?

Eric,

IMHO, It's not just the props in the display, it's what you do with them and the music you sync it to. This is Christmas time and Christmas lights, we all have similar props but yet our shows look very different. Don't even worry about it, go ahead and add a mega tree.

Merry Christmas

John

• Like 2

Eric,

IMHO, It's not just the props in the display, it's what you do with them and the music you sync it to. This is Christmas time and Christmas lights, we all have similar props but yet our shows look very different. Don't even worry about it, go ahead and add a mega tree.

Merry Christmas

John

+1

If you'd feel awkward having a mega tree, why not do a spiral tree instead?  Mega trees, IMO, are right on the edge of being boring.  Spiral trees have a greater return on investment, so to speak, for approximately the same amount of work.    

OMG I'm on the border of being boring....George you sound just like my wife. Guess I need to add some spiral rings this year.

Oops, I forgot to add the LOL

It is not by coincidence that most of our displays share prop designs.  This is a very sharing community from a prop design and sequence standpoint.  I would not worry at all about the similarities.  People that enjoy seeing displays now have two to see and that's all that matters.

If you'd feel awkward having a mega tree, why not do a spiral tree instead?  Mega trees, IMO, are right on the edge of being boring.  Spiral trees have a greater return on investment, so to speak, for approximately the same amount of work.    

My mega tree (13') has the usual verticals (32), and also spirals (16) and rings (15), so I get a lot of "mileage" out of a single piece.

It offers lots of flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Ivanbeave - do you have any specifics to your design?  Number of lights, colors, how its mounted, etc.  I have also been wrestling with mega vs. spiral and debating on which to choose - or both?  Would appreciate any input from your experience.  Randy

Someone about 10 miles away copied my whole "front line" last year - my north poles, my red/green arches, and the rope mini trees behind them.  This was all done with my permission/blessing, and he asked me quite a few build questions along the way.  I jokingly called his display "Plymouth Lights East".  Sadly, he had to stop doing the display after last season.