Light-O-Rama Forums

What relay to turn on inflatables blowers?

Vince LeGrand

Since the LOR controllers are only intended to power lights, I have used X10 controllers for the past 7 years to control my inflatables.

The X10 stuff has worked fine, but I need wireless X10 control. Since the LOR software only supports the CM11A, I have to use other software to control a CM17A.  It would make things less complicated if I could dump the X10 stuff and just use the LOR controllers to control the inflatables.  I have seen some posts in the forum about using the LOR controllers to energize relays which would then power on the inflatables.

I am assuming that a LOR controller circuit is used to energize the input contacts of a relay which then supplies power to the inflatable. 

I usually see relays with a low voltage input circuit to control a high voltage circuit.  Are there relays that use 120 volt input circuits to control 120 volt circuits?  Can anyone who is using relays for inflatables (or other 120 volt motorized fixtures) tell me what relays they are using?

Thanks.

Google 120vac relay. there are thousands..   If you have an electronics store near you they should have several to chose from.  Make sure you get one with contacts rated for "inductive" and more than the amps you need for the blowup

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I haven't done anything with relays for this year.  Everything is already set up outside....much too late to make a drastic change like starting to use relays.  My question was more for planning for next year.

I just put a relay in this weekend to handle my inflatables. Simple 120V AC coil single pole double throw relay in a small watertight enclosure, add some SPT wire and plugs and we're good to go. 

The inflatables only run during my preshow but I'm happy I was able to get them incorporated.

• 1 month later...

The links are great for the electrically challenged like me.......but..... Can someone take a step further with a "how to" to hook it up. The relays show just blades? What do I hook up to where and how?

The links are great for the electrically challenged like me.......but..... Can someone take a step further with a "how to" to hook it up. The relays show just blades? What do I hook up to where and how?

Try here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ac+relay+wiring&sm=1

• 3 weeks later...

We use a lot of these at work and they seem pretty reliable. There called RIB (relay in a box). The nice thing about these are they do not have a socket base to worry about keeping isolated. They have about 16"-18" of leads hanging out and don't have to be mounted to anything. They are low voltage control (10 to 30 volt) or high voltage control (120 volt), You cap off which ever line you don't use.There switching lines are 10 amp normally open or normally closed depending upon which wires you select to use in your setup, also on these leads you cap off the one you do not use. They are not water or weather proof. Depending upon where you would mount it or use it, it would need to be in a protective enclosure for outside. We get them from a supplier here called Johnstone supply. Do a search on relay in a box or this number RIBU1C. I don't know if this helps or not, but this was my first thought when I read this post.

For some reason I cannot paste any links.

Wayne