Light-O-Rama Forums

Combining channels

Kevin W

I am new to this and had a change of plans. I made a few sequences using 16 channels but found I am only going to use 12. Can I combine 4 channels with some existing channels and still have it work? I do not want to delete the existing channels and I do not want to lose the last 4 channels but I would be OK with added activity on some channels. Will a cut and paste do what I need or is there another way. Thanks. Kevin w.

Cut and paste will do what you want. Just beware that the paste is not transparent. Meaning if you paste over something, that something will be erased giving priority to the pasted items.

You don't have to use all the channels, I currently have 48 channel set up {actually have 5 controllers, but downsized my display}, currently I am using 16 channels on controller #01, 16 channels on Controller #03 and only 1 channel on Controller #05, I have my Sequences set up in tracks and keep all unused channels in a track called OPEN/UNUSED Channels, these are all blank until I see a need to add something and use them.

These blank channels can stay {recommended!} in your sequence and will do nothing until you put something in those cells to control that channel.

So having 4 left over channels with nothing in them won't have any detrimental or any effect on your display at all.

I'll probably be populating more on Controller #05 as I continue to put stuff up and find what I'm looking for to add to my display, then I'll move those channels out of the "OPEN/UNUSED Channels" track to the corresponding track they belong too, like "House Lights - Exterior", "House Lights - Interior", "Garden Decorations and Lights", or "Shed Lights {Exterior}".

But you can also do as others if you want to use all your channels and copy paste another track in those channels to control lights/props in the same exact manner as the copied channel.    Or leave them blank and use them for "spare channels" in case you have a channel/{s} fail on the controller.