Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM fm transmitter questions

dartsharks1

I'm having trouble with my EDM FM transmitter.  Looks like i'm not able to change the frequency on the LCD display.  It's stuck on 91.2.  I thought it wasn't transmitting until I went through all the frequencies and found it on that frequency.  I can't seem to change it.  Is there a trick to it?  Also, do I need a j-pole antenna?  Here's a link to one I was thinking about getting.  http://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/low-power-fm-lpfm-broadcast-antenna/  If I do get one is this a good one and what else do I need to connect it?  I'm not having any luck with the stock wire antenna.  Is that because it's in the garage and is getting interference from the metal?  The sound is pretty good while my car is in the garage but as soon as I go out to the end of the driveway which isn't very far there is way too much static.

I (and many others) use the test wire antenna in my garage without problems -- transmits a good block away.  Hang it vertical (maybe on the front wall if possible).

How are you trying to change the frequency? As far as the antenna, I also use the wire test antenna, just don't overdrive the input to the radio.

To change the frequency I open the box and there are two small buttons which increase/decrease the frequency.  I press it and I see the frequency changing on the display but it doesn't change the frequency that's being transmitted on.

Are you using "TinyRDS" and recommanding the frequency to change? Does the display just sit there and report the frequency that you set but still transmits on some other frequency? Is there any reception on the desired frequency? 

Regarding the antenna, do I gather that your garage is metal?  If so, that will substantially kill range. If so, getting the antenna out of the metal box will help a lot!