Light-O-Rama Forums

first timer questions - lights / effects

billc

Lights - I have a lot of lights from previous years static displays but when combining strings the amps will be too high so I am considering buying lots of LED lights. Is this a good idea? Anyone have a good source on the web for inexpensive lights?

Effects - I am amazed at what effects can be created with the controller. I see some videos with a wave action but the controller doesn't have the ability to do that. Do you use lights with that capability or is there another way to do that?

Bill

billc wrote:

Effects - I am amazed at what effects can be created with the controller. I see some videos with a wave action but the controller doesn't have the ability to do that. Do you use lights with that capability or is there another way to do that?

Bill

If you mean by wave action from going from one side to another one, the effect is created by using many channels. If you watch the video below at -0:55 will see a big chase (or wave) going around the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkqZsdJ1R20&rel=1

This is created by having many channels and turning them On and Off in order of the lights in your yard, creating the illusion of movement.

Doing these kind of effects take many channels.

Great video! What I was asking was waving the individual lights in a string, not actual groups of strings. Out of curiosity how many channels do you need for a show like yours? I have a feeling my 32 won't cut it.

You can't have individual bulbs chase, at least if you're talking standard strings. Think of a 'channel' as a "virtual light switch". If you plugged some lights into an outlet controlled by a light switch, you can turn them on and off. If that switch is a dimmer, you can also fade them up and down, and set them to a lower level. I've pretty much just described an LOR channel to you. Only the computer can control hundreds of switches very precisely.

-Tim

billc wrote:

Great video! What I was asking was waving the individual lights in a string, not actual groups of strings. Out of curiosity how many channels do you need for a show like yours? I have a feeling my 32 won't cut it.

There are strings that have 8 mode channel controllers attached to them that can be modded to LOR control, I am doing that this year for my setup. I chopped the controllers off the strings and am going to connect the four channel wires to a DC controller. This will allow a four channel chase (which is what the embedded controllers did) with the versitility of LOR.

billc wrote:

80 Channels

Here is a close up of my C9s. They are on 3 different strands so I can chase the lights if I want. I chase them for Halloween when I have all orange in them, but don't chase them for Christmas since they have different colors. To chase them you just turn each one ON and OFF right after Each Other.

So if the strands where 1,2,3

Frame 1
1 - ON
2 - OFF
3 - OFF

Frame 2
1 - OFF
2 - ON
3 - OFF

Frame 3
1 - OFF
2 - OFF
3 - ON

REPEAT

c9-lights-02.jpg

OK that makes sense. I could use strings on 12" centers and put them 3-4" apart to get a wave and only use up 3-4 channels.

I have several strings with chasers on them also so I will experiment with one of those .... if I have time. I just placed my order for 32 channels.

I just started reading this forum a couple days ago. What a great source of information! I didn't realize how far behind I already am. I read one post about how many songs you're playing this season and I realize you guys are as crazy at this as I am with our Haunted House. Our season is basically over so now I'm moving into the Xmas mode.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill

billc wrote:

OK. Thanks for your help.

Any comments on LED's vs standard lights?

Just read Jeff's answer. I've never met Jeff, but have read practically every post of his - I respect his opinions, perspectives, and if we were on the same half of the country I'd buy him a beer as a thanks for all of his insight.

But I'll tell ya this - if I never, ever, buy or own a standard string of lights again it won't come too soon. The number of mini strings that fail each year, or stupid 1/2 strings that fail, or mini bulbs that break and then shock me when I didn't notice. So absolutely annoying I want to scream.

Last year I decided to go with a major (and yes, very costly) electrical upgrade as I changed to standard C9 bulbs for my trees. I ordered 2000 feet of wire, and 2000 C9 bulbs. 2% of the bulbs were broken on arrival, and 3% broke in my hand as I screwed them in. Another 3-5% broke as I was trying to put them into my trees or bushes. Another 3-5% broke during the 5 weeks of wind/snow/rain in our area. And another easy 2-5% were broken by the snotty neighborhood kids who's parents let them come across the cul-de-sac daily, unscrew a bulb or two and smash them in my driveway or the neighbors rock garden. My electric bill was a monster, having gone from about 40 amps to 230 amps of lights. And at the end of the season, I was just bummed at the waste - bulbs and electricity and my time having to replace so many broken bulbs.

This year, as mid-summer hit, I was forced with another costly decision. Upgrade my power from 400 to my house (200 in garage) to at least 400 in my garage and whatever we could fit into my house for my wife. And the cost of replacing the bulbs. And the cost of my time unscrewing and screwing the replacements. UGH!!! I started researching LED, wanting to buy the brightest, highest quality that would work seamlessly with LOR. The best I found with my research were the model sold by Travis at http://www.ledholidaylighting.com - he frequently has offered 10% off sales to planet christmas members, which helped.

Long story short, no electrical upgrade, no more broken bulbs, and a yard that is now decorated with 95% LED lights. Brilliant, and easy, and no stress, and would never ever go back to regular bulbs. Like every light string (LED or standard) there is always a chance a string will go bad. But working with almost 600 strings of new LED lights going up (taking a break to check the forums) I've been nothing but giddy at the quality, not a single broken bulb or string, dramatically decreased number of power cords going from garage subpanel to yard display, and sequences working exactly as planned to date.

My only regret? Wasting the last 2 years replacing Target mini light strands, and an entire waste of time and money messing with standard C9's and upgrading my electrical service when ultimately I would have been just fine had I gone LED in the first place.

Of course, to each their own - you'll see awesome displays whether 100% LED, 100% standard, or some combination. For me, the savings of my time, and electrical upgrades, and bulb replacement is amazingly satisfying.

Good luck - and Jeff, if our paths ever cross at one of the Christmas light conventions, I'll be sure to buy you a brew or two as we swap stories! You too Bill if you want to join us :P

medman2000

I decided I am going to go with LED lights for any new lights I buy. I just got back from Sams and bought some LED lights and a couple 7' pre-lit Christmas trees with 700 LED lights for $100 ea. I thought that was a fairly good deal just for the lights alone.

The problem I have now is waiting for the LOR gear to arrive. I guess they are 3 weeks out right now so I hope to have all the lights ready when the LOR arrives.

Bill

You don't have to go 100% LED. I have a mix where I built a tree out of mini (incandescent) lights, and right behind it is a real tree decorated with 200 blue LED lights. Going back and forth between them may give an interesting look - I don't know because I don't have it set up yet.

• 3 years later...

randal search these topics for full wave versus half wave and rectified leds and you will find your answer i not trying to be a smarty pants but every time i try to help someone somebody else always chimes in that im wrong welcome to the fray

Randal Trecha wrote:

Jeff,

Can LED strings be dimmed in the same manner as a mini bulb string?

Yes, if they are a quality made string, such as the ones sold by CDI. http://www.creativedisplays.com/

Many have reported problems with flickering or having to spend extra money and effort by building and adding "snubbers" to the typical retail store strings.

Myself, I prefer to buy the quality strings and not use the cheap strings that local stores sell.