Light-O-Rama Forums

lights stuck

paralegalnc

so in my tests I have channels that "stick" in the on position sometimes.  then when the sequence uses that channel it will go off... then maybe stick again later... It seems to happen when its raining (why does it always rain on test days?)  we have wrapped the plugs... even in shrink wrap thinking moisture maybe the issue.  One even pops the breaker.  We've put garbage bags over the controllers and will run another test tonight (supposed to rain) 

Is this the issue? or could something else be doing it?  I guess if they come on it's not the worst thing in the world.  but it's not perfect and it drives me NUTS! neighbors say "I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me"  well I know.  They don't understand OCD

I do have a controller that three channels are just plain old stuck even in the garage.  Someone said something about resetting jumpers but that's a foreign language to me.

You might have your port speed set too high or if the hanging channels are on one controller, inspect and clean the RJ45 contacts at that controller.

You may have an issue down the road with your plugs.  Moisture will get to your plugs but won't be able to dry out and corrode the contacts faster.  There are some discussions on this and general consensus is just keep them out of puddles.  Wrapping them just makes you feel good about it but no real benefit comes from it.  I apologize in advance if this thread goes nuts on this.  :)  

Sounds to me like there is also another possibility on this, especially the one controller where you say the channels are stuck on, even in the garage, that sounds to be bad triacs and will they will need to be replaced.  If you can solder, you can take the controller apart and do it yourself, otherwise you'll need to open a trouble ticket with LOR and have them repair them.  But if the channels are always on rain or shine, chances are it could also be bad triacs on those channels.    After trying new cat5 cables, checking the cat5 jacks on the board {could be loose, if so, they would also need to be re-soldered down}, and the cat5 is okay and cat5 jack okay, then chances are bad triacs.

You may also have a bad CAT5 cable that is getting moisture in it and disrupting communications.

brand new cat 5

You might have your port speed set too high or if the hanging channels are on one controller, inspect and clean the RJ45 contacts at that controller.

what is a RJ45??    how do I check port speed?  and it seems now there are two controllers doing it.  The first one seems to be adding channels to the "sticking".

what is a RJ45??    how do I check port speed?  and it seems now there are two controllers doing it.  The first one seems to be adding channels to the "sticking".

ok found out what the RJ 45 is.... I'll have him check it.  so make sure the it's clean.... and connections are good.  but where do I check the speed and what should it be?

Computer control panel, system, device manager, ports, right click on the port you are using for comm, then select properties. If you haven't changed it and the show ran fine last year, then you shouldn't need to change it now. I suspect you've got problems at the RJ45 ports which are the pluggins for the Cat5 cables. Most likely you've got a bad connection there. This year, I had issues and found a couple of the wire-fingers were slightly stuck in. Using small tweezers, I pulled them out just enough, cleaned with a q-tip and alcohol and so far, no more problems.

will try it in the day light... hopefully that will fix it because I am getting frustrated as hell!  fix one thing...then something else....fix it, something else....

will try it in the day light... hopefully that will fix it because I am getting frustrated as hell!  fix one thing...then something else....fix it, something else....

Welcome to the world of computerized Christmas lights :)

I didn't have these problems last year.  But I have families coming of the fallen soldiers in my military tribute... it has to be perfect! 

If you aren't using shielded CAT5/6 cables, please make sure they are away from any power cables out there between the controllers or from your power source. The inducted electrical noise might cause problems too.