Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing for spiral tree

jacqueto

I have created a 16 channel spiral tree this year and have been trying to get some sequencing ideas for it.  Anyone have any suggestions they can share?  I am right now working on Christmas Sarajevo if anyone can help. 

Thanks

knovalley@yahoo.com

I did the same with my 16ch spiral tree. There is a sample file you can download out there somewhere but I have not had time to find it again. Its somewhere on the LOR forums. I'm just too busy programming and setting up at the moment to go look.

I made this example video after 2 years ago that might be of use:

did you do a single channel string and spiral it clockwise and counter clockwise? looking at it @ 1:07 looks like it and it looks great nice job.

did you do a single channel string and spiral it clockwise and counter clockwise? looking at it @ 1:07 looks like it and it looks great nice job.

Nope. All strings are wrapped the same way.  What you are seeing is that that spiral strings on the back side of the tree "slant" the opposite way from the front.  It therefore gives the appearance shown.  It is pronounced if you only turn on every 3rd or 4th channel (as shown in the sequence portion half of the screen above).

Here is the actual video of the display showing that effect on the actual tree.

• Like 1

Nope. All strings are wrapped the same way.  What you are seeing is that that spiral strings on the back side of the tree "slant" the opposite way from the front.  It therefore gives the appearance shown.  It is pronounced if you only turn on every 3rd or 4th channel (as shown in the sequence portion half of the screen above).

Here is the actual video of the display showing that effect on the actual tree.

It appears that you're using RGB lights, can the same effect be achieved using Red, Green, White LED's?

• 9 months later...

I use two megatrees, 32 channels on the first one with 16 channels spiraling one direction and alternating the other 16 channels the other direction. The second megatree is identical to the first one except wired electrically to the first one, but backwards spiraling. This gives me the effect of having two different trees but commanded as one. The result is almost a dancing effect. Now for sequencing themselves, I can twinkle them, run a spiral one direction by turning on and fading off, while in a chase mode around the tree. By lengthening the fade, the effect becomes softer. You can also you "background" settings and get entirely different effects. Now I'm not doing multiple colors, instead I opted to save money and channels by using "Multi" LED strings. They still look great and color wasn't an issue.

Planning 16 channel mega tree. apart from LOR controller what are the suggestions for DC DMX controllers. What is a cost effective solutions.

The most cost-effective multi-channel DMX DC controller I have found is the 27-channel (9 RGB channels) controller that you can find at a number of places, including Holiday Coro. I bought one from Ray Wu for $44.21 + shipping, but the shipping isn't cheap, and you'll have to wait for the slow boat from China.

Your best bet for a 16-RGB-channel mega tree with dumb strips is still 2 of the CMB-24D because it's plug-and-play.

Thanks Steve, I am planning on a 16 channel with intelligent pixels. Will the controllers change now. What are the options.

That doesn't make sense. Intelligent pixels are each separate (RGB) channels. A typical pixel tree (a mega tree using intelligent pixels) may have 16 strings that each have 50 pixels, for a total of 800 RGB channels, or 2400 total channels. A 16 channel tree wouldn't use intelligent pixels. Which are you building?

Sorry for using the wrong word. It is a 16 strand mega tree, each strand being intelligent pixels and hence a total of 800+ Channels as you have mentioned. What are my controller options. I know we are already into October but I have to do this. Thanks.