Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter Problem

griswald

I purchased a Rangestar FM Transmitter (Model CZH-05B) this year to replace the crappy Whole Home Transmitter so many of us "first timers" seem to get stuck with our first time out. I got the unit in October, plugged it in, set my channel and boom, I had fantastic sound for my Halloween show. I have not touched it or made any changes since then, but now when I try to use if for my Christmas show, there is noticeable static when songs are playing. If I grab the antennae the sound clears up instantly. I do not have anything else plugged into the outlet and as I said, nothing else in my layout has changed. Any thoughts on how I can fix this? Unclear audio really degrades the quality of the light show, so I'm hoping I can come up with a solution other than holding the antennae every night for the next six weeks. :lol:

Thanks!

Check ANY electrical cord crossing or too close.   Same circuit as one of your controllers - that can cause it too.

AV cable is to always cross power cable perpendicular.  Also plug in separate circuit of your computer or controller.   

• Try a new channel. Seasonal atmospheric changes could be causing interference with you. Turn your transmitter off and listen to see if the channel is clear as well. Also make sure your input is not overdriving the transmitter. Try reducing the volume and see if it clears up. Did you test the transmitter with the same playback device? Was it a lap top? Try unplugging the power supply from laptop and test.

• If the problem clears up holdingthe antenna(I forgot you mentioned that) Ignore wiring and volume issues, Its the channel. Turn of transmitter and search for the quietest channel in the range that transmitter can handle.

Update......I straightened up my setup and during the process noticed the antennae could take another turn on the threads. Let everything run for about 20 min last night and the music sounded clear the whole time. Thanks for the help, as always, you guys are great!