Light-O-Rama Forums

Snowflakes on the roof

RoboticBrad

Does anyone have suggestions on how to mount snowflakes to the roof? I have a few thoughts, but not sure it's the best idea. Also does wind ever play a part in flipping your snowflakes over? I've never done it, but I see quite a few do, so I decided to add them to my display this year. I've included a picture so you can see the general idea and the pitch of my roof. Any thoughts? Thanks

post-12252-0-63459300-1384791494_thumb.j

post-12252-0-63459300-1384791494_thumb.j

Last 5 years all i used was a 2-3 shingle clips to hold them in position.  That is if you are placing the snowflakes flat on the roof.

You did not tell use you mounting position.

See my videos, 24 snowflakes and only 8 channels used. 3 snowflakes per channel.

I hadn't thought about shingle clips... thanks! What are the 2-3 clips? Do you have a link where I could look at them? What do you mean by my mounting position?

I use finishing nails and just pound them into the roof (bad I know, but its for the lights). They lay flush on the roof and I've never had problems with wind. 

I have done plastic clips before too. I used these:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6100/6265961044_80cc278487.jpg

• Like 1

I use finishing nails and just pound them into the roof (bad I know, but its for the lights).

That is too funny! Never mind the dripping all over the house... how about that Christmas display though!!! Thanks for the tip, I love your videos!

I just use some fishing line to keep them from sliding down.  I have a ridge vent (lots of perforations) that I'm able to tie off to.  They don't blow over or move side to side (that I've ever been able to tell).  And I don't have to try to cram a clip under the shingle.

I just use some fishing line to keep them from sliding down.  I have a ridge vent (lots of perforations) that I'm able to tie off to.  They don't blow over or move side to side (that I've ever been able to tell).  And I don't have to try to cram a clip under the shingle.

This year I have 14 Snowflakes on my roof and I did the same thing.  I also tied line to the bottom of the Snowflake so the wind wouldn't blow then to the side.

Sorry for posting the picture twice... I didn't realize what I was doing. Is there not a way to edit your previous posts?

You can edit your previous post for about 30 minutes after you originally posted it.

As many times as you want, but only have that 30 minute window.

• Like 1

I used a rebar frame for my 3 ft. snowflakes.  I used screws to secure the frame to the roof.  I lifted up the shingles and put in the screws and layed the shingles back down over the leg/screws.  After the season, I will wait for a warm day, lift the shingle and unscrew them, then use silicone to fill the hole.  Hopefully no shingles will break /tear.  I plan to use a different shingle to the right or left in future years so as to cut down on the wear and tear.